Bird ID

davidm

Is there any good pocket size british bird identification book out there you can buy. I have always just focused on the deer but would like to open my mind up some more... I say pocket size because if I sit and read a book it won't stick but if i see one in the field or out and about. I can then put a name to the face which will help me better memorise these. Any help would be good. David

I believe Collins do a range of field books. The best I know of is the black slip covered one:-

Collins Bird Guide the most complete field guide to the Birds of Britain and Europe. ISBN 0 00 219728

However it's a bit too big to fit in the pocket and costs about £30 now I should think. It's 8" high and 5 3/4" wide and 1 3/16" thick. Now they do a white covered slightly smaller one:-

collins Birds of Britain & Europe ISBN 0 00 219900 9

I brought mine from the shop at Montrose Basin observatory in August 2000 and it cost £16.99 back then. It measures 7 1/2" high, 4 7/8" wide and 1 1/4" thick.. Both are hard back

Now years ago there used to be the Observer series of pocket books and yes they did a bird one. If they are still available :confused: dunno but might be worth a look.

daft idea of course but have you thought of looking in the RSPB places? after all it's right up their street. I got my binos from their shop on the Pulborough Brooks reserve in Sussex.

Thanks very much hadn't even thought about the rspb and places like that. Will buy one of the larger ones and pop it in the car and could always come in handy just not all that clued up on birds.

:rofl: A friend and I used to go Birdwatching even taking his kids but sometimes alone for the peace and quiet.

Have a look on the Free delivery worldwide on all books from The Book Depository

I've started to use them as they are proving to be consistently better value than Amazon, (for what I want anyway), and seem to include free p&p on everything.

They do an RSPB pocket guide at a few quid with free p&p: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/RSPB-Pocket-Guide-British-Birds-Simon-Harrap/9780713687071

If anyone is interested they have a huge selection of books on all aspects of deer - many sourced from overseas including some interesting butchery ones.

Have a look on the Free delivery worldwide on all books from The Book Depository

I've started to use them as they are proving to be consistently better value than Amazon, (for what I want anyway), and seem to include free p&p on everything.

They do an RSPB pocket guide at a few quid with free p&p: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/RSPB-Pocket-Guide-British-Birds-Simon-Harrap/9780713687071

If anyone is interested they have a huge selection of books on all aspects of deer - many sourced from overseas including some interesting butchery ones.

Thank you :banghead: just what I needed more books to peruse and tempt me. Just put in another bookcase and filled it with books what were laying around :oops:.

Back