Gerber Gator Exchange-A-Blade Saw

colly1612

I am looking to buy a bone saw for cutting the breat bone of deer, currently I am using a coarse prunning saw which is far from ideal.

After much searching through the internet I came across the Gerber Gator Exchange-A-Blade Saw, (see link below). it comes with a fine saw blade which can be used for cutting bone.

Gerber Gator Exchange-A-Blade Saw

For less than £30 i think it is good value.

My question is,

Does anybody use this saw for cutting the breast bone on deer?, if so how do they rate it?

Also what other types of saw do you guys use for this job?

Thanks in advance.

Colly

Hi Colly

I have an exchange a blade knife and I have used the saw for opening the chest cavity.
I would say that although it works ok for doing the odd beast it's not really meant as a bone saw and more of a utility wood saw. You may be better getting a Ferber EZ saw or SAGEN saw which are made for the job.

Prov

Kershaw do an alaskan blade trader, which i have onwned and used for 5 years. it is not my first port of call, but it really does the job well, the saw is a proper game saw, with the teeth facing inwards, not a wood saw.

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=19

I went stalking with a lad you was a butcher in a previous life and he laffed when i gave him the knive(s), after he used them he bought a set.

I have used the Gerber exchange a blade saw for about ten years used it on a lot of deer with no problems and it goes in the dishwasher.

I've got the Gerber EZ Saw, have only used it on Fallow but it performs well enough.
Bit of a bugger to clean as we don't have a dishwasher.

Back