Rangefinder or Rangefinder binoculars

beno

Looking at getting a rangefinder but got the nagging felling should spend more money and treat my self to a pair of rangfinding binos, currently go a pair of minox hg which are brilliant was thinking of getting a the ziess prf rangefinder but how well does this cope under the lamp and how accurate is it in such conditions?
Or option 2 is to splash out and get a pair of ziess rangfinding binos
What do you guys prefer separate rangefinder or combo as weight must be an issue if you have them around your neck all day?

ive got some zeiss rangefinders,good bit of kit,would like bino rangers,swarovski's would be nice,maybe father christmas will bring me some

Looking at getting a rangefinder but got the nagging felling should spend more money and treat my self to a pair of rangfinding binos, currently go a pair of minox hg which are brilliant was thinking of getting a the ziess prf rangefinder but how well does this cope under the lamp and how accurate is it in such conditions?
Or option 2 is to splash out and get a pair of ziess rangfinding binos
What do you guys prefer separate rangefinder or combo as weight must be an issue if you have them around your neck all day?

Suggest you look at the Leupold website.
Or if you do not always shoot at last light the Burris eliminator, scope and rangefinder combined.

Suggest you save up and get rangefinding bins. Then test what you can afford and buy the pair that suit you. Your looking at £1.5k to start but it will be money well spent.

I chose Leicas over Zeiss purely on ergonomics/ease of use.

You will not regret the purchase and will wonder how you managed without them.

D

I going for the zeiss range finder bino's, early xmas present !!
If you can wait for the 1st december zeiss retailers will be offering a trade in of any old working bino's of £250.00 off a new set of zeiss range finder bino's

I had leica binos and rangefinder and sold them and bought the leica 8x42 rangefinder binos.
Its great having the rangefinder and binos in one unit because when you spot something you can range it instantly.
My mate has the zeiss rf binos and they are good also but I find the leicas easier to use as well.

I concur with Palo's comments - I have the leica geovids 8x42 and when you view you rangefind at the same time - one operation. The downside is the weight but I can handle that and if I am right the life time guarantee does not apply to both bino and rangefinder facility? Swaro has just brought a pair out - check this point with theirs as they are normally first class as regards warranty etc

I have had my Geovids for 26 months and they are faultless. Use them a lot out foxing at night and so easy to use. Must say I do prefer the nice ring in the Zeiss and single push operation, but Leicas more ergonomic.

D

The best rangefinding binos I've tried to date are unquestionably the new Swarovski ELs, but whether you need a rangefinder integrated in your binos depends on the kind of shooting you do.

For most of my shooting, a fairly basic rangefinder is quite good enough to range the key features in the field of view from a high seat, or a bend in a ride or hedgerow, and ranges aren't so long that approximating off those points will cause a problem. Once I've got the important distances in my head a regular (good) pair of binos are all that's required.

When I'm out in the hills, what matters most is that the rangefinder has a precise (and properly calibrated) reticle and ample range so that distant less-than-ideally-reflective targets still give a reliable reading. Angle compensation is a welcome bonus, too. Since it is also easier to lose your point of reference on moorland when switching from one optic to another, having the rangefinder built into the binos pays off here too.

For night shooting with a lamp, it can be hard to switch between a rifle or a lamp and a rangefinder, so I mostly get by by knowing the key ranges on my own patch from experience and using a flat-shooting cartridge, but life is definitely made easier by using a Burris Eliminator: simply lase the target, put the trajectory-compensated orange dot on it, and shoot. Superb! My only gripe about it is that you cant drop the brightness of the dot enough to use with an NV add-on.

Back