humane despatch

mickjgardner

To save the hassle of trying to get a pistol,would there be anything stopping me getting a 22 and cutting the stock and barrel down to the minimum or maybe a long barreled pistol.Not sure where definitions come in.BTW pest control business so need something discreet for despatching foxes in cage traps

moderated 410 , wrap it in a tarp , put the tarp over the trap go under it and shoot the fox with a subsonic cartridge bag up your fox wrap up your gun off you go

To get a long barrelled pistol you'd still need to put a variation in and join a target club as good reason to own it, and then I doubt they'd condition it for dispatch... It would be less hassle to get a 2 shot .38 revolver, you clearly have good reason.

Hi Mick

when you apply to renew your section 1, have the/a .22 rifle put on to specify also to kill foxes ( explain in a letter that it is for trapping etc), that way you don't require a section 5, I don't have a section 5 now for humane dispatch foxes it is on my open certificate for foxes for .22 and .17 HMR. (although I don't use a .17 on foxes)

Wouldn't worry about being discreet, the job is lead by safety, place the traps in a suitable catchment area to avoid any problems and it is safe to discharge a firearm, don't forget to get a police CAD number prior to. if this is not possible transport the animal to a suitable place keeping within the wildlife and countryside act, hope this of some help

To get a long barrelled pistol you'd still need to put a variation in and join a target club as good reason to own it, and then I doubt they'd condition it for dispatch... It would be less hassle to get a 2 shot .38 revolver, you clearly have good reason.

if you pest control by way of business then youhave really good reason, to have pistol but i thnk the police would grant you a 22rf pistol for foxes,restricted to 2 shots or silge shot

Although firing shorgun shells, a .410 pistol still falls under a Section 5 prohibited weapon. A good idea mind you.

I do rta animal distpatch for Hampshire police, i also have a 410 bouble barreled pistol for vermin control on my FAC, but have been told that i cant use it for rta's.

Although firing shorgun shells, a .410 pistol still falls under a Section 5 prohibited weapon. A good idea mind you.

You can be granted one on a normal section 1 FAC with a good reason.

13.20 Section 4 of the 1997 Act allows the
possession and use of shot pistols in calibres
.410 and 9mm rimfire, provided that such a
pistol is “subject to a condition that it is only
for use in connection with the shooting of
vermin” (see Appendix 3 for the exact
wording of the condition which covers these
circumstances). This exemption was intended
mainly for pest controllers who may need to
use a firearm of this kind in farm buildings,
farmyards and similar areas where use of
a conventional shot gun would be
inappropriate, for example fruit cages
or near release pens.

or near release pens.

You learn something new every day...........my understanding was that it neither fell into the definition of a Section 1 or Section 2 and was therefeore classed as a prohibited weapon..........I shall need to remember that, interesting !!!

or near release pens.

I guess thats why mine was granted, rat shooting in the tunnels under our dreir, just not room to swing a conventional shotgun, good set of ear defenderds needed...!!!

I think the taurus judge could fall into section 5 because it's a revolver/shotgun, but apparently a bond arms derringer would be ok.

If there's any chance of getting a Judge for rats around the barns and chicken sheds.... I'm on it :D If not I'll settle for a derringer.

I think the taurus judge could fall into section 5 because it's a revolver/shotgun, but apparently a bond arms derringer would be ok.

If there's any chance of getting a Judge for rats around the barns and chicken sheds.... I'm on it :D If not I'll settle for a derringer.

Interesting one.

If we go to the wording of the 1997 Act itself rather than the HO Guidance which Apache kindly posted, it states this:

4 Shot pistols used for shooting vermin.

(1)The authority of the Secretary of State [F3or the Scottish Ministers (by virtue of provision made under section 63 of the Scotland Act 1998)] is not required by virtue of subsection (1)(aba) of section 5 of the 1968 Act for a person to have in his possession, or to purchase or acquire, or to sell or transfer, a shot pistol if he is authorised by a firearm certificate to have the shot pistol in his possession, or to purchase or acquire it, subject to a condition that it is only for use in connection with the shooting of vermin.
(2)For the purposes of this section, “shot pistol” means a smooth-bored gun which is chambered for .410 cartridges or 9mm rim-fire cartridges.

All clear then? :D

Back to the good ole HO Guidance and you'll find this one:

2.7 The 1988 Act also raised to the
prohibited category any smooth-bore revolver
gun other than one that is chambered for
9mm rimfire cartridges or is a muzzle-loading
revolver gun. The first exemption is
understood to cover “ratting” or “garden”
guns. Since the 1988 Act does not permit any
revolver gun to be regarded as a “shot gun”,
smooth-bore revolver guns which are
chambered for 9mm rimfire or muzzleloading
guns are “firearms” and subject to
control under section 1 of the 1968 Act.

Depending on how clued up your FLD is you might be able to get a Taurus by quoting the 1997 Act 4.1 & 2 and hope they interpret 'shot pistol' and 'smooth-bore gun' as including a revolver type.

Back