243. loads

biker1

Hi all does anybody have a recipe. For. A 243 using varget powder and. 85 grain spitzers thanks. Bikerw

In MY rifle I got the following results with Varget using Norma cases, CCI 200 primers and Speer 85 gr BTSP:
37.0 gr 3,077 fps
37.5 gr 3,088
38.0 gr 3,128
38.5 gr 3,153
39.0 gr 3,207
39.5 gr 3,276
40.0 gr 3.290
Speer's max. load of Varget is 41.5 gr but I didn't feel it worth going any higher. I settled on 39.0 gr as it gave the most consistent accuracy and velocity spread. The figures from your rifle will probably be different so start low and work it up yourself. I found Varget good but rather dirty. I also found that RL19 worked better for me.

Last edited:
Biker,

clearly you have and want to use Varget, so...I use 87g BTHP for my .243. I load 35.5g Varget and it clover leafs to say the least. Velocity is good and case fill is more than acceptable. I use the Hornady HPBT at COAL 2.7". Min was 34 and max 37.5 in my research. be careful with the loads Brian243 mention unless you work your way up, they are almost all over the max for varget in this caliber - based on Hogdon's site and IMHO. I found 35.5g to be a nice moderate load that's not too fast, yet takes roe to 200yds comfortably without too little or too much expansion. I'd work my way up from min towards max if I was you, probably in .5 increments if you're not too fussy, 5 rounds at a time, with seating depth 1 caliber deep. that's just my opionion, I advocate doing your own research.

Please note I use CCI LR BR primers.

i use these head a lot they work well in my gun did load fair few with varget started 33 grains and worked my way up to 38.5 grains but the grouping went all over the place at 38.5 took it back down to 38 it was fine ? but i now use h4895 find this powder better for me and my grouping if this helps ian

Biker,

clearly you have and want to use Varget, so...I use 87g BTHP for my .243. I load 35.5g Varget and it clover leafs to say the least. Velocity is good and case fill is more than acceptable. I use the Hornady HPBT at COAL 2.7". Min was 34 and max 37.5 in my research. be careful with the loads Brian243 mention unless you work your way up, they are almost all over the max for varget in this caliber - based on Hogdon's site and IMHO. I found 35.5g to be a nice moderate load that's not too fast, yet takes roe to 200yds comfortably without too little or too much expansion. I'd work my way up from min towards max if I was you, probably in .5 increments if you're not too fussy, 5 rounds at a time, with seating depth 1 caliber deep. that's just my opionion, I advocate doing your own research.

Please note I use CCI LR BR primers.

PKL's comments are very interesting and illustrate the importance of researching load data for specific bullet / powder combinations and carefully working up your own loads. I took my load information for Varget and the Speer 85 gr BTSP from Speer's no. 14 reloading manual which gives a start charge of 37.5 gr with a max charge of 41.5 gr. In my rifle, a standard factory Tikka there were no signs of high pressure up to 40.0 gr at which point I stopped as these powder weights were already giving more velocity than I was looking for.
I have no doubt that if I had been using the Hornady 87 gr or another manufacturer's 85 gr bullet I would have had different results which is why I was carefull to specify the exact components I was using.
Biker1 does not say which 85 gr spitzer he intends to use but as with all load development it is vital that he obtains valid load data for Varget in combination with whichever 85 gr bullet he decides to use and then carefully develops that load for his particular circumstances.

Back