Gun Problem - Exploded round, inside .17 HMR gun ???

woodfordfallow

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about a round exploding inside the barrel of my gun and causing sever damage??

What happened:
Put magazine in gun, pulled trigger. First 2 rounds ok. 3rd not sure what happened. 4th Round, large bang, blew out the magazine. Broke ejectors off the bolt. Gun now in pieces.

Anybody had this happen to them and how do i deal with a claim against the manufactacturer, which is Hornady Bullets.

Gun Ruger 77/7 Stainless.

Hope someone can help!!

Cheers

Document/photograph everything. First point of contact should be the retailer where you purchased your ammunition. They will no doubt refer it to the importers.

gun problem

Woodfordfallow it sounds like the 3rd round did not have any propellant in it the primmer would have enough power to push bullet up the barrel.When you shot your next that bullet would have made contact with the bullet that was still in your barrel.To much pressure you were very lucky not to have sustained serious injury.

Woodfordfallow it sounds like the 3rd round did not have any propellant in it the primmer would have enough power to push bullet up the barrel.When you shot your next that bullet would have made contact with the bullet that was still in your barrel.To much pressure you were very lucky not to have sustained serious injury.

Sounds to me like that is exactly what happened...... you are lucky to be able to type this morning !!

I seem to remember this is not the first time I have heard about this problem on HMR's, there was a thread about this here recently, exactly the same problem. No or very little powder in the case.

Exactly as Orion has said, i know a similar story ( the same calibre) , the chap took it back to his RFD who contacted the importers/ ammo manufacturers and a compensation case is up and running , count your lucky stars nothing too serious happened , but now think about being reimbursed
cheers
craig

Document/photograph everything. First point of contact should be the retailer where you purchased your ammunition. They will no doubt refer it to the importers.
The gun is with gun shop sent to the importers they have told me not to use the ammo.The gun is more than likely finnished. I am doing fulltime pest control so i need this sorting soon. I have told the shop i will be making a claim against them.
thanks for your help

You say you popped of 4, the third, did it sound different. You say Hornady but not the type. Soft point or expanding. Working so small a bore tollerances are very small. Bullets are soft. Did the round chamber cleanly? If the tip caught the sid of the chamber while engaging the bullet could attempt to expand in the barrel causing a complete dam up of gasses. Unless the third distorted on exit of cought up in the baffles of a moderator gasses in front of the bullet would tend to push out rather than collide. I would considering the damage say tip failure rather than choked barrel. Jim

The gun is with gun shop sent to the importers they have told me not to use the ammo.The gun is more than likely finnished. I am doing fulltime pest control so i need this sorting soon. I have told the shop i will be making a claim against them.
thanks for your help

Have you recorded any batch numbers from the ammo boxes? Might help flag up any potential problems to others.

Was at minsterley ranges recently when someone was siting in this calibre.Heard a misfire and had a round stuck up the barrel.Thought no propellant in case just primer. Les managed to clear it for him.
Years ago I had an overloaded batch of gameking 100 grain 243.Never used them before.First shot sounded loud,second trouble extracting case It all had to be investigated through the proof house, rifle and remainder of box.Gross overload of rounds. Rifle ok and recall of that batch world wide. That's the way you have to go as the proof house packs more punch than you. Good luck.

hi
The rounds are expanding . i dont know what happend more than there was 5 round left in the mag out of 9. The gun was working fine the moderator is not damaged and the barrel is blocked.The supplier is beening very helpfull. I dont feel it was my fault and it looks like someone has to pay for a new rifle
regards.

squib round. put money on it.
lots of stories and history of this with dropping quality control on ammo manufacture.
document everything and keep as many of the original batch of ammo as evidence

bad luck

WOW,
Its happened to me Twice ( breach expolsion ) first time i thought it was a dud round, cleaned rifle re-zeroed put at least 10 rounds through and it happened again. I thought it may have been a bad batch of ammo ????

Regards

Steve............
PS

the case split at the base an both occastions and the round was half way up the barrel, not jamed it was easily remove with my cleaning rod

Last edited:
Hi,

Does anyone know anything about a round exploding inside the barrel of my gun and causing sever damage??

What happened:
Put magazine in gun, pulled trigger. First 2 rounds ok. 3rd not sure what happened. 4th Round, large bang, blew out the magazine. Broke ejectors off the bolt. Gun now in pieces.

Anybody had this happen to them and how do i deal with a claim against the manufactacturer, which is Hornady Bullets.

Gun Ruger 77/7 Stainless.

Hope someone can help!!

Cheers
What a horrible thing to happen and glad that you are ok. Which rounds of Hornady were you using,there are several types?

Also retain all four empty cases as examination of the head/primer area will give a good indication of the pressures developed.
If there was NO recoil after the third shot suggesting the powder charge was absent then you were foolish to fire the fourth shot without further checks.

HWH.

Also retain all four empty cases as examination of the head/primer area will give a good indication of the pressures developed.
If there was NO recoil after the third shot suggesting the powder charge was absent then you were foolish to fire the fourth shot without further checks. HWH.

Good point. If upon firing any firearm, it doesn't sound or feel right, stop and check the bore is clear before doing anything else. Regards JCS

With regards to talking to the manufacturer, that's not for you to do. Your contract is with the shop that sold you the ammunition, not the manufacturer, and it is up to them to make things right with you and then sort it out with the manufacturers.

Does sound like a squib round, didn't think the .17 would have enough power to blow a bolt out though.

Back