Primers

Hi Richard,

I use Match primers in all my handloads and although i've never done any testing of standard and match primers as a comparison i like the idea of using the best i can get for ingredients in my loads.
The different in cost is minimal so why not use them (even if it's just for the Placebo effect)

Ezzy

There really isn't any advantage in your everyday hunting rifle. ( In fact, some match / BR primers are a tad hotter than regular primers so you should reduce an established load when you are switching to them.)

I ran some Federal Match primers in my custom Ruger #1 .223 heavy varmint rifle and then repeated the load with Remington Small Rifle Primers. The Remington primers delivered tighter groups, hands down. My old Remington .222 though, liked the Fed Match primers and shot slightly smaller groups using them. There is just no guarantee that the word "Match" on the box will give you increased accuracy. ~Muir

Just an FYI regarding US-Made primers.

I stopped into a Sportsman's Warehouse store today in Billings, Montana to buy some Christmas gifts. While I was there I decided to pick up a thousand primers. They had nothing in standard rifle primers of any make. I bought a brick of Federal Small Pistol Primers to use in my .22 Hornet but that was it. Now this is a huge, nation wide distribution, warehouse-sized store for hunting and fishing gear and they had nothing. Their powder, bullet, and brass supply was gone as well.

When I asked the clerk about some Remington 9 1/2 primers he just shrugged. "We can't get anything right now..." was his answer. My local trading post has been short as well.

This may be a seasonal shortage, or one driven by the election of an anti-gun President. I don't want to start any panic purchasing but be aware that supplies are dwindling close to the source. It may not be to long before the shortages reach the UK. ~Muir

Primers are as much a variable component as any other in reloading and can alter velocity and trajectory and therefore accuracy quite considerably.

I have long been an advocate of using primers in the same way as powder to vary a load with great effect.

We dont choose our case because one looks shinier than another but because of the chemical composition that is most suitable for our particular load. Neither do we choose a Powder just because the local shop has it on the shelf and so with Primers - choose your primer to do the best job possible for the load you are generating.

A change of primer can in some loads require a drop of 3 grains and the difference in velocity without any increase in pressure can equally improve by 100fps. Use your primers in the same way as your powder and you will be surprised at the difference your loads will provide.

Here is a basic heat chart - from top to bottom drop about 5-6% in powder and work from there.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v356/mry716/General/?action=view&current=primerheatchart.jpg
Use it as a guide and add in your own primers when you have assessed them. eg, the Prvi Partizan Primers although burning approximately as hot as the Winchester range do because of their different construction not seem to require a reduction in powder when changing from say Remington. Try for yourself and let us all know your test results as it will expand the above chart considerably.

Use of Magnum primers is normally reserved for the Ball Powders but I am finding I can use them to great effect in the shorter stumpier cases such as the WSM and WSSM range of cartridges. Logically this should also be valid for the Benchrest PPC cartridges.

The same is true for the H4831 SC powder in 243 - A Federal Magnum primer seems to provide anything up to 120 fps higher velocities than standard primers yet seemingly without additional pressure.
BUT
do drop the powder weight and build up again.

In a mid 2008 'Handloader' I noticed that Charles Petty has written an article on Primers and 223 accuracy - anyone who would like to read it email me at mry716@hotmail.com and I will send a copy.

Please remember to drop powder weights when changing primers and do also remember that with the present hot weather you need to reconsider all those max loads and take out a little powder.

A 10 degree rise in temp requires a 5% decrease in powder. If we are going to get such varied weather in coming years it may be best to have a min, intermediate and max load to use dependant on weather temperature.

Back