DSC2 - Advise/Help please

Robbo25

Hi All,

After a few years of mulling over the DSC2 i've now decided to bite the bullet so to speak and get it done.

I'm just going through the registration process and would like to take a weeks holiday during the last week of January to work through the 3 accredited stalks for my portfolio.

With this in Mind I'm looking for a mentor to help me through this phase who has access to some land and is registered as a witness.

I normally head to Scotland at this time of year and would love some late hinds or possibly Sika during the week and I'm on a budget as most of us are now days!

I'd welcome any advice, help or recomendations of somewhere suitable from anyone that's taken the DSC2.

Many thanks

Robbo25

Many thanks to NickJ and Eric the red..

Any more options or suggestions would be great...

Thanks

Robbo25

suggestion Yes ,

You've taken a few years to mull over it (your Words) whats the hurry now you've got three years after the registration ??

As for a budget so you want to pay for it ??

suggestion Yes ,

You've taken a few years to mull over it (your Words) whats the hurry now you've got three years after the registration ??

hi widows son,
think i can understand what he is getting at when he says he would like to get the three done in jan, my way of reading it is that yes you have three years to get the three stalks in but if your there on the ground then why not try for the three in one hol to get them over and done with ?

just another way to look at it is when you decided to take your driving test did you not want to do it straight away or did you want to spread your lessons over three years ??

as for the budget thing guess he is willing to pay for someones time to teach him right from wrong and guide him in the right direction so in my opinion i cant see a problem with that either.

please accept my apologies if i have read or mis understood your reply

good luck with it all robbo and hope ya get sorted

all the best
jimmy

suggestion Yes ,

hi widows son,
think i can understand what he is getting at when he says he would like to get the three done in jan, my way of reading it is that yes you have three years to get the three stalks in but if your there on the ground then why not try for the three in one hol to get them over and done with ?

just another way to look at it is when you decided to take your driving test did you not want to do it straight away or did you want to spread your lessons over three years ??

as for the budget thing guess he is willing to pay for someones time to teach him right from wrong and guide him in the right direction so in my opinion i cant see a problem with that either.

all the best
jimmy

I'm with you on this one Jimmy, I fail to see what the issue is..............If the lad wants it done asap and not over three years so what? Wants to pay for the pleasure and to be taught properly, crack on I say.

Jimmy / Cadex100 thanks very much for your thoughts and response to Widows son.

Your correct in your thoughts of where I'm at with the DSC2 and how i'd like to approach it.

Widows son, Appreciate your comments too.. and as an additional bit of info I head north 2 or 3 times a year for the red's when/if money allows.

Whilst I have access to a few small blocks of land for the Deer in Hampshire, I love the hill and the Red's and Sika's which present a different type of challange.

Now days SNH/Forestry commission want the DSC2 as the minimum qualification and with a possible syndicate place as a slightly cheaper option to what I normally do.. I need to get qualified to open as many opportunities or options to me.

All the best

Robbo25

suggestion Yes ,

hi widows son,

all the best
jimmy

Ok guys You have not seen my point Robbo, can take as little or as long as he likes ,as both heand I have stated he has came to the conclusion he NOW wants to complete his level two as he has tempted with the idea for a long while .I said if youve taken your time up till now whats the hurry now .

(I hope none of you guys are police officers, powers of observation mmmmmm)

Myself I done mine in a afternoon yes all three of them. I wasnt in any hurry the deer were in the right place at the right time and i had loads of lead with me. lol

Ok guys You have not seen my point Robbo, can take as little or as long as he likes ,as both heand I have stated he has came to the conclusion he NOW wants to complete his level two as he has tempted with the idea for a long while .I said if youve taken your time up till now whats the hurry now .

(I hope none of you guys are police officers, powers of observation mmmmmm)

Myself I done mine in a afternoon yes all three of them. I wasnt in any hurry the deer were in the right place at the right time and i had loads of lead with me. lol

Don't think its so much 'powers of observation' other than the post not being particularly clear.

Ok guys You have not seen my point Robbo, can take as littleor as long as he likes ,as both heand I have stated he has came to theconclusion he NOW wants to complete his level two as he has tempted with theidea for a long while .I said if youve taken your time up till now whats thehurry now .
(I hope none of you guys are police officers, powers ofobservation mmmmmm)
Myself I done mine in a afternoon yes all three of them. Iwasnt in any hurry the deer were in the right place at the right time and i hadloads of lead with me. lol
I am struggling to see how you could do 3 x full ICR's in an afternoon and have them count towards your DSC L2. I presume you did all three with the same AW and in the same location and on Roe Bucks (not that there is anything wrong with that). I cannot however understand what your comment "I was not in a hurry the Deer were in the right place at the right time and i had loads of lead with me" means. If I was going to stalk a Deer, I would like to think that I could stalk one with one round (Lead as you put it) at the minimum 2 and only in the unlikely situation that I had to use a second shot (humane Dispatch). Even if you had dispatched one and left it then went on for a further 2 stalks you would be finding it quite hard if you were going through the DSC L2 ICR procedure as per the book. I am sorry but if this is the case then I defy that you can claim you have the DSC L2 Certificate.
I did mine together, yes but I did them as 2 x morning stalks and 1 x evening stalk over 2 days. I have to admit that even then I was struggling to keep up with the procedure as per each ICR and the paperwork. Please do not ask the OP “why if he had taken his time up until now what is his hurry now?” and claim that you have done yours in super human time.
By the way I am not a Police Officer but I can still see that your claims are fairly far fetched. Anyone who claims to have completed 3 x full, from start to finish individual Level 2 ICR's stalks is taking the urine out of the DSC L2 course criteria and if this has been allowed as part of the certification process it just dilutes the credibility of the whole system. When you look at it, you are claiming to have stalked and processed 3 x Deer up to the level as required by the DSC L2 from start of stalk, ready for Larder, that gives you from mid-day to midnight on a good evening, being generous. This equates to 4 hours per ICR, I am sorry but any AW worth there salt would not be happy to put their name to such a fantasy.
I will also be writing to BASC where I registered and ask why I had to fork out for B&B as I was told that doing them in one day is not allowed. Please, do not get me wrong, as I could fully understand that doing them in one day is feasible, but an afternoon is just a joke.

Last edited:
Back