Mar Lodge Report

Also seems to be a discrepency on the required sporting lets. Guests taken out but not charged, stalks for the boys, so are they sporting stalks (a requirement) or management stalks. Another breach, Jim

Just read this - pretty bloody scathing about NTS direction and management of the whole thing I'd say :confused:

There maths seems way off and to say that it is a disgusting waist of government and public donations would be an understatement.

Very interesting read indeed.
The report indicates (4.9) that the average number of stags is proportionate to the average number of hinds taken per year yet the income falls approximately 50% in 2010 (table 2, page 20) compared to the 2 years prior to this. Has the cost of MLE deer reduced so much in value, or are the carcasses not reaching the larder?

Is it just me or does this, basically, say something along the lines of:

"Me and a few other decent chaps I met at boarding school wanted to save the earth by messing about in Scotland. When we got there one of the little people told us our plan wouldn't work but he had one that might. We ignored him. We've all taken a good pile of cash from this for ourselves and now, it seems, maybe the little person we met on the first day we went up there was right after all as our plan has been a disaster. Of course we can't admit we are wrong so we are going to have a timescale for our objectives of 200 years. By that time we will have lined our pockets, be long since dead and so we have no real need to care about the long term outcome. In a while, when we get fed up with this game and move on to interfering in something else, we will all walk away leaving this estate and the neighbours in an awful mess that the little man we met on the first day will have to sort it out and we will ensure he also gets all the blame. Oh what jolly japes, anyone know of any other committees looking good reliable sort of chaps who will always say the the right thing as members? We only charge a few hundred thousand per year each."

All the surveys, panels, experts and most disturbing of all thousands of deer culled. Now they favour errecting a fence that the neighbouring head stalker and his team have wanted years ago. UNBELIEVABLE.

Last edited:
Mar Lodge Reds before the debacle.
HWH.

31220001.jpg

caorach You have hit the nail well and truly on the head .What has happened is just that we have an education in trees fauna and mam ilia so we know best. When in fact the chaps that have lived the life and were brought up in the area had it correct all the time. But how could any one listen to them it dose not make sense.
What i cannot understand is why NTS had to listen so hard to SNH. Also why SNH can get it so wrong on this public estate and yet get it so right on a private estate they have a real interest in Ardnamurchan. Very Strange indeed.

Last edited:
In the words of Ronnie Rose about eight years ago:

"instead of skill and experience, too many organisations now are being run by people who spend three years in Edinburgh being taught by someone else who spent three years in Edinburgh."

:tiphat:

I visited Mar 5 years ago and asked why they did not hedge their bets and plant some trees to cover their arses if and when the natural regeneration plan had demonstrably failed. The guy leading the group looked at me like I was insane.
I really believe that the high-heed-yins at this and a few other publicly funded estates are vergeing on criminal negligence when it comes to demonstrable returns for money from the public coffers.
Hand planting three vegetative layers of forest biology could have been acheived for less than these blinkered 'experts' have spent and within the current timescale of their failed experiment. However it became apparent that any contingency plan would only show up the deficiencies in the 'grand plan' and could not be allowed to show up those who so flagrantly wasted the millions of pounds in the pot.

Quite so and in the process screwed up a wonderful tourist attraction.
We went there for years mainly to view and photograph the deer.
Who in his right mind would pay money each year to look at a Caledonian pine ?

In later years I went to the Aviemore/Rothiemurchus areas instead.

HWH.

May i ask do these people have names ?, will anything be done to them what dose the head ones at SNH think of this ?. We all vote and we expect our hard earned cash spent with an attempt at value for money. Did any one get the sack ?.

May i ask do these people have names

Certainly in England, Wales and Northern Ireland there is a crimial offence of misfeasence (excuse my spelling if it is wrong) or malfeasence in public office. As this is a criminal offence it is a simple matter of dropping into your local police station and reporting a crime and asking for a crime reference. It is then up to the police to investigate and to collect evidence.

Now, I don't know much about the strucutre at Mar Lodge but if anyone involved there is in public office then there is some scope to let the police deal with the matter. However, the offence of malfeasence doesn't exist in Scotland though I believe there is something similar along the lines of abuse of public office. Clearly it would take someone with a little knowledge of the Scottish legal system to investigate but if they are in public office and they have done wrong then it should be possible to report them to the police for an offence.

That is very interesting but i am sure if every one who was upset by this wrote to the minister it would be investigated and you never know what they may turn up.
One letter to your MSP one direct to the minister if any one has done this what was the reply.

Allan

This make grim reading. If it were not located in Scotland then it could almost read like a gun hoe management policy from the wild west of buffalo hunting!!

Back