Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cross hairs...

cross hairs...

Guys n gals, guys n gals (as Jimmy Saville would say)

A seemingly simple question....

In a scope, is the correct nomenclature for the cross hairs (sic)

Or is it actually something completely different? I have seen all of the above used in various articles, books and trade literature and cannot seem to get a consensus.

Any answers or opinions?

I belive that "graticule is derived from graduated reticule..
    can't help you with the others.

You lost me when you said 'nomenclature'!!! Will someone tell me what that means please!!!!

Sorry Andy, had got works head on there Just means name really or terminology or a system of names or terms.

Lifted from Wikipedia-

The word reticle is from the Latin meaning "net", a network or grid of lines displayed in an optical instrument. The minimum reticle consists of simple "cross-hairs",

Looking at S & B, Swarvorski, Meopta, and Leupold websites the spelling appears to be consistent as RETICLE

So Reticle looks good to me!

I have always known it as Reticle too.

I don't know the correct name for the crosshairs but, if any of the above were mentioned I would know what you were talking about

Reticle is correct, I think

A reticule, I believe, is a sort of small handbag for evening wear

That's why the last time I looked through the reticule all I could see was a tampon and some eye liner!

If I have been away from the site for a while I usually start at the last post and work backwards. You can therefor imagine what kind of thoughts were running through my rather empty head when I read AndyL's last post.