advice on the Mannlicher hunter

kevin01041961

Hi ,I'm thinking of buying the mannlicher in 243 hunter but dont know much about them any help are they any good basically

Last edited:
Had a classic in .308 and a pro in 243. The classic was bought to hunt in Africa. and perfomed well with Norma ammo. Had it threaded for a T8 and then it didn't like being shot off a bi pod!!! Did some research, to find out that weak forend, makes for a prob off bi pods! Pro hunter2 didn't have the same prob , but thy both had feed probs occasionaly, rounds wouldn't cycle! When I decided to swap em for a Blaser, three dealers said they wouldn't touch em!!

Hi ,I'm thinking of buying the mannlicher in 243 hunter but dont know much about them any help are they any good basically
i have the prohunter 2 in 308 and is my main stalking rifle. The fore end is still a little soft but i am slotting a group of 150gr sp inside half an inch off a bipod. I also feel build quality extremely good and would buy another.

Good rifles for the money. Mine in .223 very accurate, only one issue is the bullet feed from magazine can be poor at times.

I had one for 4+ years. My only comment is that you can't change anything on them (apart from length of pull). Works straight out of the box, but no practical options for improving it. I had no issues with the feeding of 260 Rem rounds, in fact the generous magazine length is one of its unsung pluses. The same plus will apply to the .243 as it's the same magazine. It wasn't an easy rifle to sell when I parted with it, mind you what second hand rifle is easy to sell?

View attachment 10763

Regards JCS

Last edited:
I had one for 4+ years. My only comment is that you can't change anything on them (apart from length of pull). Works straight out of the box, but no practical options for improving it. I had no issues with the feeding of 260 Rem rounds, in fact the generous magazine length is one of its unsung pluses. The same plus will apply to the .243 as it's the same magazine. It wasn't an easy rifle to sell when I parted with it, mind you what second hand rifle is easy to sell?

View attachment 10763

Regards JCS
likewise i had no issues with feeding rounds and once i tweaked the set trigger to useable pressures had a fine rifle. I never really felt i wanted to change anything on it to be honest although i understand Sportsman Gun Centre now do them with a mcmillan stock as standard. I know it gets bad press for its previously weak stock but i would rather have it than a standard rem 700 and yes before i get flamed have one in 308 so can compare.

Kevin. The only point I would add to my earlier post is to suggest that you give some consideration to your choice of moderator. Initially I used the Pro-Hunter with a T8 and factory ammo. When I traded the T8 in for an AU-S5, I halved the group size with the same factory ammunition. Good luck. JCS

Lads,

What glass and mod are you using on your Steyr? I have a swaro fixed 8 x 56 and a wildcat. Both just suit the rifle so well.

JCS, sorry just noticed you use the ASE S5. I have one on a 20'' remmie and know how heavy (but good) these things are. Does the rifle feel any more unbalanced than it normally would with a moddie?

Last edited:
s/b 8x56 -ase utra overbarrel mod on 6.5 or no mod at all
s/b 6x42-T8 mod on 308
love shooting with the mods but dont like the extra weight on long stalks so took to shooting the 6.5 without a mod still a smooth rifle .

Back