Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know this is a Deer Stalking website but.....

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Nairn, Inverness-shire

I know this is a Deer Stalking website but.....

I know some people on here are into Shotgun Game shooting also.

I am going Goose shooting on Thursday morning before work starts, I saw what must have been over 200 flying today so I thought "Why Not"?

Any tips? I have never shot these before, I have No 3's, 42gr shot.....

42g of 3 shot will be fine - its hitting the target that you need to consider -my mentor always said to aim at and swing through from the head, ignore the body or you'll miss behind.

Good luck and good shooting - oh, and the tail enders as they fly tend to be the youngest and the best eating.

Try and keep your ranges realistic, a goose is a big bird and range can be tricky to judge, once they spot you they can go from being shootable to out of range in a wing beat. Make sure you swing through well they are almost certainly going faster than you think.
    My dad allways said 'imagine the heads a Snipe and swing accordingly'
    Not as easy as it sounds but dad used to shoot geese with his 20 bore and was quite capable of outperforming me with my 3.5" mag.
    The cartridges will be perfect.

Hope you have good luck,

Re: Geese

Quote Originally Posted by Daemo

Good luck and good shooting - oh, and the tail enders as they fly tend to be the youngest and the best eating.
    this is not always correct as you often find geese in flight take it inturn to take the lead
    and quite often it is an older bird that brings up the rear to keep the younger birds incheck and on the right line
    as others hav said your choice of cartridge is fine and again like ezzy has pointed out ignore the body and swing through the head treat it like a snipe
    yes i know it is hard to do but well worth the results
    try not to be to adventurous by trying to take a high goose and give plenty of lead, they are very deceptive in flight
    if you can aim for the front one and the 7th one back will probaly fold dead
    just remember to identify what species of geese you are shooting at in the first place , might save you an embarrasing moment in the long run

When I went Goose shooting on the Solway it was only Barnies that came in Range!!!

This prompts me to tell a story. I live in The Vale of Clwyd in North Wales and whilst close to the famous Dee estuary we are not well known for goose shooting however we have about 200-300 greylag that winter with us from December to March (where they are before I don't know), mainly using big fields near Denbigh where they are mostly unmolested.

Just occasionally when the wind was different or they had been disturbed they used fields close to where I lived.

It was the last day of the inland wildfowl season and the whole lot were feeding on maize stubble just next to my house. With the wind the way that it was I knew that when they lifted off there would be a good chance that they would fly over my garden. I got into position behind my hedge and waited as the light started to fade.

With a huge commotion (God I love the sound of wild geese) they lifted off, initially headed towards the other side of the valley but then slowly but surely turned in my direction. The lead group crossed my boundary at about 20 metres high and right over my head.

I raised my gun, swung through and ..... decided not to shoot. Do you know what, it was just too easy, I just let them go and never regretted it.

It's a strange thing but I'm like that, a pheasant or deer could not be safer than in my garden but catch the same animal on my shooting ground and it's a goner. Out on the mud of the estuary I'd have squeezed the trigger but it just seemed too easy in my garden.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Nairn, Inverness-shire
    Cheers everyone, all help is much appreciated, I have only done clays and the occasional Pigeon Decoying, so I'm up for anything to be honest, I havn't used my Shotgun in about 6 months so the first 42gr unfolding against my shoulder should be interesting.

Cheers Again.

When you've got a couple of hundred pinks coming in like an express train, trust me Stu, you won't be noticing any recoil!

I can remember my first goose like it was yesterday...could even take you to the ditch in Perthshire where I was sat. Just watch out, you'll get hooked when you hear that goose music.

And Scotland have a sensible idea about lead shot,

you cant use it over wetlands,

wearas we cant use it on wildfowl,

you can shoot a pheasant here where the shot drops onto a pond, but not a duck???

I agree about the speed the geese travel at, they are deceptive.

seems like every one has beat me to it so all i say is good luck
    and let us know how you get on