Blaser 6.5x284

JVR.243

Hi,

I'm putting a Blaser R93 together with a 6.5x284 match barrel. Can anyone using the same tell me how they find it and the best ammunition combination in your opinion?

Ive used 6.5x284 as one of my main staling calibres for a number of years. Its an excellent calibre for any species. I use 130 Barnes TSX - i'm not interested in cost of these bullets as they work very well and cause minimal damage at close and extended range.

I think this is a "Wildcat" round and as such there is no commercial ammunition available. That is, you have to be a reloader.

Thanks guys for the info so far. I was aware that factory ammo was now available and that the once wildcat calibre is regarded as a barrel burner, certainly for bench rest shooters. I think it will last the test of time with me as a recreational stalker. I am a complete novice when it comes to reloading but have a good friend loading for me now and I'm picking it up bit by bit. I will try to keep you posted on how the rifle shapes up and of the lod developments. I have a week to wait now for a proofed mod then it's down to the range! I have shot with a std Blaser barrel for a long time and am therefore very excited to see how the heavy match barrel performs as well as the new calibre.
JVR

Hi Redmist, I will check out the 130 Barnes TSX, excuse my ignorance in the meantime if I ask whether they are BT's or soft point?

No problem,

the 130 TSX is a hollowpoint, solid copper bullet.

Pretty much perfect expansion every time, however, you would have to reload to use them as i'm pretty certain there is no factory loading available using this bullet.

Regarding the comments about the calibre being a barrel burner and wildcat.

It was originally a wildcat - formed by necking down .284 Winchester brass to .264 calibre, however, it is now a CIP / SAAMI accepted calibre although now called 6.5x284 Norma...

Barrel life?

Im on #2 barrel and ive used the calibre for the last 6 (I think) years for stalking and occasional informal competition (with barrel #1)

Expect to see circa 1200 rounds before accuracy will suffer - providing you do not shoot multiple, repeated groups.

I'm fortunate in that I have the equipment to rebarrel as and when I require...

One of the calibres I will not tire of.

Thanking you for the correction. A friend of mine had a gun custom built for 1000 yard shooting and I`m sure he told me that it was a wildcat. He said it was a barrel burner but very accurate.

It was a wild cat round, the original round was the 284 Winchester.(7mm). The wildcat round was developed by Norma when they necked it down to 6.5mm, hence 6.5/284. It became so popular that it became a manufactured round. Matt.

It was a wild cat round, the original round was the 284 Winchester.(7mm). The wildcat round was developed by Norma when they necked it down to 6.5mm, hence 6.5/284. It became so popular that it became a manufactured round. Matt.

Erm... the .284 win cartridge was necked down (and up) in the States, early doors... by "wild-catters" Then the six and a half was more or less standardised as the 6.5-.284 Winchester...but it was still "unofficial" and then....... Norma put it through the ballistic equivalent of "homologation" and got the cartridge recognised by the C.I.P. and the rest is l'histoire.

ps. I have a 24" bbl'd semi custom Sako in this calibre/cartridge and it is a cracker for deer, much prefer it to my old .270win

Last edited:
JVR.243

I shoot a 6.5-284. Its a great all around cartridge. I use 140gr amax through mine, it does do a bit of damage but you cant kill them too dead. If you want to save meat damage then just shoot them where there isnt a lot to waste. You wont be disappointed. Less powder than 270, higher BC bullet. Ive never thought about factory rounds, think they will be pricey and limited choice.

Back