Geco 105gr 243 + Outdoor Edge Swing Blade

Cris

Got a box of these to try on Fallow but as the rule goes only found a roe doe and a muntie buck. Not the test I was planning but left a sizable exit in the munties chest having hit a rib on the way out. Roe was head shot so no comparison there possible. Oh well next time.

Also picked up one of those Outdoor Designs swing blade knives. Works well but don't think the quality is up to standard. May test the warrantee and send it back. Anyone else used one and found the blade a bit loose?

Cris, I had one of those and it lasted all of five minutes before the plastic ball fell off the gralloching blade, and the knife blade snapped when I tried to hock a Red stag. Let's say I'm not impressed shall we.

Ah sorry meant Outdoor Edge / EKA Swing Blade. Sorry head ache tonight and loss of concentration but thanks for the reply and another to avoid.

i used the geco in my 243 for fallow. seemed to work ok. only had a few fallow but these bullets seemed to work better on roe. although i have now changed to a 308 and that has convinced me that the 243 is a bit small for big fallow bucks. but horses for courses and all that

Years ago Speer(I believe) had a 105gn round nose bullet, I shot everything with it includeing Sika and reds, mostly hinds and calfs, down to roe and muntjac, it would knock them all down with no issues at all. Now no longer made as 243 at that weight is a small market, a slow heavy bullet in any calibre for woodland shooting is ideal, I used my 243 on the hill as well and the Pro stalkers liked the combo a lot, still have 200 of them in the cabinet, should I want to use the old sako. deerwarden

Outdoor Edge & EKA swingblades seem to have come in two different forms. I remember when Wayne Davies was posting on this he said he had sourced the ones with better steel, it seems to be the case. One set of people are really pleased with their's, and I am one of them, and others seem to hate their's.

I will have a trawl and see if I can find the link.

Simon

Edit: http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co....-Knives/page4&highlight=EKA+swingblade+knives Post 36!

S.

Last edited:
I don't know if it was me but I had poor consistency with Geco 105gn .243. Bought a batch of Norma 100 grain and had excellent grouping and used them on deer instead.

Years ago Speer(I believe) had a 105gn round nose bullet, I shot everything with it includeing Sika and reds, mostly hinds and calfs, down to roe and muntjac, it would knock them all down with no issues at all. Now no longer made as 243 at that weight is a small market, a slow heavy bullet in any calibre for woodland shooting is ideal, I used my 243 on the hill as well and the Pro stalkers liked the combo a lot, still have 200 of them in the cabinet, should I want to use the old sako. deerwarden

The Speer 105gr RN was a cracking bullet. It would put down hill stags at the height of the rut with no problem. And grouped tight too. Shame it went.

I think the Geco 105 grain rounds are great. I have been using them for the last couple of years and they work fine in my Parker hale. Accuracy is in the 1" at 100 yds catagory which is plenty good enough for me and after trying an initial box first, I did a deal with a local RFD on a large batch of the ammo at 16.50 per box. Compared with some of the high current prices I see about, I'm happy with that price :D

I think the Geco 105 grain rounds are great. I have been using them for the last couple of years and they work fine in my Parker hale. Accuracy is in the 1" at 100 yds catagory which is plenty good enough for me and after trying an initial box first, I did a deal with a local RFD on a large batch of the ammo at 16.50 per box. Compared with some of the high current prices I see about, I'm happy with that price :D

Thats a good price Lakey...
One of my friends whose job invloves using 400+ bullets a year uses those and is paying around £19/ box I think.

Have shot them for 2 years and shot everything with them, red stags in rut, sika in woodland, fallow, roe and muntjac the only thing I have found them not the best on are foxes if you shoot them back a bit they will run unlike a BT bullet. Overal I think they are great a very good value.

I use geco 105g in my 243 and have found the same shot a roe doe and left a massive hole after hitting a rib. But found them to be very accurate inch or so groupings.

Try PPU 100g soft points at £11a box/£55 per 100 , my T3 groups at sub 1" with them and so i'm told, the brass is good to reload although i've not tried to reload them myself, KWG's at ashford in kent have them along with .223 rounds at £8 a box

Tikkat3

Ok so the Outdoor Edge knife went back. Even my €14 Opinel has a solid blade that dosnt move. As for the G 105s I caught up with a woodland Fallow buck yesterday and at about 80m had a good exit plus good blood trail. So ok on that one.

Back