7mm Projectile for Fallow

Code4

My long throated 7x57 Lothar Walther barrel won't shoot anything less than 154 grain projectiles. What bullet would you recommend I load for mature, well fed Fallow bucks ?

Never heard of the Grom and I have never seen Privi components for sale here. The RWS projectiles I will probably be able to source. I have used the 258 H-Mantle in my 9.3x62 with excellent results on soft game. Does the 173grain 7mm expand well at low impact velocities ?

Familiar Avatar there ....

This 4pt Roe was shot at about 75 yards using RWS H-Mantle factory 173 grain ammunition in my 7x57:-

25634929.jpg

The mark on the left fore leg is the exit wound after breaking the leg on exit. The Buck dropped so fast I did not see him got down.

26321439.jpg

We did not re-position his head this is how we found him stone dead. He was grazing when the shot was taken.

We never found the bullet but the top of the heart was destroyed. I was extremely pleased witht eh performance.

The gunshop in the local shooting club has some 8mm Grom bullets in stock. I did not look for 7mm ones and did not ask either but those I have spoken to who have used the loaded ammunition with it seem pleased with it's performance.

Edit:- Oh I forgot to mention that I tended to use the Hornady 139 SP and BTSP in my rifle. The RWS was picked up for a shop in Sussex that was closing down. The 139's shoot well enough for my needs.

Last edited:
the only snag with interbonds is availability and cost. Ive shot a few deer with them (albeit not fallow) and they dont expand overly well.

If its long throated, i would go with VLDs, they are good bullets, mid priced and drop things well..

the only snag with interbonds is availability and cost. Ive shot a few deer with them (albeit not fallow) and they dont expand overly well.

If its long throated, i would go with VLDs, they are good bullets, mid priced and drop things well..
If they are not expanding enough for you FF I would suggest you are driving them to fast mate.

what speed were you pushing them at? Im assuming out of your 7-08? Off the top of my head i was going at 2850 with the 139s. I shot a few roe with them and they drilled straight through, when i did a bit of digging, i found they were more designed towards heavier african game..

When I borrowed a chronograph to check my loads the Hornady 139 BTSP gave around 2850fps through my 7x57. They worked fine on American White Tailed deer.

My long throated 7x57 Lothar Walther barrel won't shoot anything less than 154 grain projectiles. What bullet would you recommend I load for mature, well fed Fallow bucks ?

My 7x57 is free bored yet it shoots 140 grain bullets really well. A long throat usually doesn't rule out accuracy with lighter bullets. What bullets have you tried?~Muir

I've tried the following 140 grainers.

Nosler Accubonds,
Sierra SptBT,
Speer 145 Spt's,
Barnes XBT,
Woodleigh PPSN,
Nosler BT,
Hornady 139 SST,
W-W 145 Factory loads.

I did take a red Stag in NZ with the 140 Sierra Spt Bt over 45 grains AR2208 (Varget) in New Norma cases but this is an excessively high load and showed pressure signs in anything but new Norma Cases and I was reluctant to keep useing it. I suppose for a one off hunt it would be worth it. Velocity is 2,780 fps.

The entry hole. The shot was angled forward towards the front right leg. He took five steps straight down hill and was DOA :

NewZealand017-1.jpg

The Stag

DSCF1216.jpg

Last edited:
Back