Tikka t3 feed problem

beno

Noticed now that my t3 is having problems feeding from the magazine sometimes:

1. The bolt will pick up the round but then its a bit of struggle to get it into the camber like its not going in squad this only happens when you do it slow.
2. The bolt will go straight over the top of the round and not pick it up from the magazine it’s like the spring is worn or there’s not enough of the round sticking through to pick it up (the magazine is a new mag and its a 5 shot).

Its becoming a real problem especially once you've fired off one round and then next time your try to cycle to bolt and find the bolts not pick up the rounds by the time you've figured this out its to late!!

With home loads and factory rounds it’s the same is it the mag or the bolt or something else???

I had exactly the same problem with a Tikka T3 Super Varmint in 308, Took back to Gunsmith who replaced it for me, Never had any problems since.

James

One of the guys on the course today had a Tikka 595 in 243 with exact same problem. Only recently acquired rifle secondhand, but doesnt look much used at all. Magazine was all plastic - previously I'd only seen 595s with stell mags ( albeit plastic base & follower ). Quick look - and it seemed the follower was catching at rear edge - holding base of cartridge below level which bolt could pick it up.

So very interested to hear views - and apologies for semi hijack.

2. The bolt will go straight over the top of the round and not pick it up from the magazine it’s like the spring is worn or there’s not enough of the round sticking through to pick it up (the magazine is a new mag and its a 5 shot).

I had the same problem with my T3 .204. It only happened when you got down to three left in the mag. The two plastic rails that hold the rounds in the mag wear slightly at the front of the mag allowing the round to tilt up slightly at the front and drop at the back so the bolt can't pick up the round. Sent it back to the shop and they replaced it. not had any problems up to now.

Tony

Played around with it this morning no 2 issue doesn’t happen but no1 does with the 3 shot mag as well but its not quite as hard to close the bolt like with the 5 shot mag its a 243 cal as well if that helps, I also tried with my dad’s t3 and that had no issues but then it’s a new rifle mines about two years old now I looked for wear on the mag and couldent notice anything the bolts got slight scoing on it but nothing to worry about I would say

I had this problem with the factory 3 round mag (.243") and the 5 shot mag which I bought afterwards. Took them apart and stretched the spring out. Reassembled it - making sure the spring is the right way round and seated properly and no problems since.

I had the same problem with my T3 .204. It only happened when you got down to three left in the mag. The two plastic rails that hold the rounds in the mag wear slightly at the front of the mag allowing the round to tilt up slightly at the front and drop at the back so the bolt can't pick up the round. Sent it back to the shop and they replaced it. not had any problems up to now.

Tony

Having a couple of T3s myself, and having numerous friends with them, I've collected a bit of knowledge along the way.

What Tony said above sounds like the problem. The front face of the mag feed lips get worn which allows the spring to extend rotating the cartridge around the front of the feed lips. However, this isn't a symptom when the magazine is new. Make sure the spring is the correct way around in the magazine, because this upsets the balance.

The main problem is mislalignment in the runners moulded to the inside of the mag. This occurs between the upper and lower of the magazine halfs. The follower plate gets stuck, however usually when loading the mag rather than feeding from.

I had this issue with my .223 super varmint & 5 shot mag last night and think Ive found a simple fix. I took my mag apart after running it under the hot tap for a few minutes to soften up the plastic and turned the spring around so the two widest "points" of the spring were at the back of the mag.

I presume this is the opposite way around to how its assembled in the factory because I've never had it apart before.

The rear of every case is now firmly pushed up allowing the bolt to make contact and push the round into the chamber.

I also took the opportunity to smear a very thin layer of silicone grease around the inside of the magazine and then wiped it out with a cloth, This seems to have reduced any friction against the follower and I'm hoping wiping it out afterwards will prevent any dust sticking to the inside of the magazine and jamming the follower.

Back