Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: reloading v buying

reloading v buying

first post on this forum,apologies in advance if this has been asked before

is it a lot cheaper in the long run to do home loads

i am thinking of getting a new .223 set up possibly a remmy or a howa

all comments appreciated

The short answer is no.

You can buy PPU for about the same cost as home loading (26p a pop for .223) and some rifles will shoot it sub MOA however, home loading is cheaper in the long run but with a set up cost of 100+ it will take a lot of rounds to make up the difference.

The biggest advantage of homeloading is that the ammo will be more consistent, but to me it is just another part of my hobby and there is nothing better than seeing those tiny groups and knowing that it is all my own work.

I agree, the cost savings are not there on start up but you will be able to make up ammunition to a consistantly higher standard than factory ammunition and match the loads to your own particular requirements. In time the cost per round will fall- especially as you get into reloading as a hobby and increase the amount of ammunition that you use..

I agree also. I dont shoot enough for home loading to be cost effective. However when that 200yrd shot hits home with a round created by yourself it is very satisfying. Just like tying your own fly and landing a wild brownie.

+1 on all comment's

For the price you guy's can get PPU bullet's i would give them a go to start with, if your not satisfied with them then go down the Reloading route it gives you time to require your reloading gear, but all as i can say is you will become a "Reloading Addict"
    Your a long time dead, enjoy every day like it's your last!!!

If is the priority don't reload, unless you are using 100's rounds/month. I personally find reloading very satisfying and the only way to get the best from your rifle.

My #1 priority was cost and I went down the Lee Classic Loader route.

Works a charm and hits the spot on both counts, cost and accuracy.
    and you get to choose a much wider range of projectile than the factory will allow

SD Regular
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    Handloading enables you to tailor certain American cartridge chamberings that aren't quite "just right" for over here" to loads more suitable to British "hunting" methods.

To wit the 6mm Remington and 243 Winchester can be toned down to fire 100 grain bullets at about 2,800fps and the 270 Winchester loaded with a 150 grain bullet at about 2,800fps.

Some American loads are just too fast for woodland stalking....6mm Remington and 243 Winchester....if you are taking an animal at thirty to forty yards distance.

On the other hand some calibres are just about perfect and don't need to be "tamed" or "toned down".

The comment often quoted is that loading your own ammunition is not cost effective given the cost of the equipment required, however if you buy good quality such as RCBS especially if it's already used, the likelihood it that when you finally decide to sell it you won't lose much of your initial purchase cost. Taking this into consideration does justify loading your own if you find it interesting. You should also be able to improve upon factory ammo by fine tuning bullet weight, powder & primer and OAL to suit your own rifle.