Ballistic tips................

Not on my deer unless you buy the carcass and thats with any plastic point.
roe damage easily and those who use such bullets generally drive them hard.
if they don't knacker the deer thats ok you can take it anyway and sell it on.
I've seen enough knackered carcass's to have made my mind up.
thems the rules.

I use them all the time, never had a problem, never had any money knocked off by the game dealer because of damage due to a BT.

But if I could only get SPs I won’t worry, bullet placed just behind the front leg equals a dead deer.;)

ATB

Tahr

For urban deer they are the first choice and will if placed even close to bang on will reduce a deer to jelly. Just what you want when the Mway is at you back or side. I send 50% to the game dealer and have never had a deer discounted for damage.

13-8-2011016.jpg

Not tried Partitions. I normally use the Nosler 90g BT, which is a hunting, not a varmint round. Very little meat damage, very accurate, and I've yet to have anything run more than a few yards.

I have seen some posts where people have said they use V MAX, which I would never use for deer.

I asked because I'd like to shoot with John at some point, and wouldn't want to turn up with a round that was unacceptable.

I also have a load worked up for Norma 100g SP, so would use that.

I've found the biggest problem with self loading, is you drive yourself CRAZY wondering if there's a better combination ! I was told by some very experienced people to find something you're confident with, and stick to it, that's what I have with the Nosler 90g BT's.

Sod's law someone else doesn't like them :( ;)

Mark.

Well shooting with John and using a Ballistic or plastic tipped bullet would not be a problem for me as I want the carcase anyway. It's why I go stalking. Of course sods law was in force at the time and I had just zeroed for Federal Fusion 150 grain in the 270 so used that ammunition.

In the 308 I found that the 165 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip worked very well on Muntjac and Roe.

Last edited:
i have been using them in my 7x64 for the past year and they perform very well on deer from muntys to 18 stone reds.

so it is a ++ from me.

Use 30 cal 150g Nosler BTs infront of 43.5g of Vit 140 and never had any probs with excessive damage

Not on my deer unless you buy the carcass and thats with any plastic point.
roe damage easily and those who use such bullets generally drive them hard.
if they don't knacker the deer thats ok you can take it anyway and sell it on.
I've seen enough knackered carcass's to have made my mind up.
thems the rules.

I tried 100 grain B/Ts through my 25-06........... they are going like stink and caused a hell of a mess on the roe. 117 grain soft points for me now. Wouldn't go back to the B/Ts for love nor money.

Last edited:
so if there is a split amongst us using BT`s why are people finding they blow things up and others dont because when i reload for my rifles i find a load that is accurate and that is all i dont reload a round to go as fast as it will go , i really do think people have to start thinking sensebly about home loading and find a round which suits the rifle and not your ego.

i know this will up set alot of people as they do fall into this catagoury.

so if there is a split amongst us using BT`s why are people finding they blow things up and others dont because when i reload for my rifles i find a load that is accurate and that is all i dont reload a round to go as fast as it will go , i really do think people have to start thinking sensebly about home loading and find a round which suits the rifle and not your ego.

i know this will up set alot of people as they do fall into this catagoury.

I agree, speed isnt all its cracked up to be !!!

+1 on the speed thing!

Deer round's i back off on the speed, "placement shot and accuracy" is the way to go.

But on fox i tend to go full speed ahead don't keep pelt's

Last edited:
50 gr Vmax's in .22-250 stoked up to the max for daddy fox, mummy fox and baby fox. 140 gr and 175 gr Partition's in 7mm08 at middle of the road pace, no need at all for them to be stoked up. Had some Hornady Interbond's a few years ago that seemingly blew up a couple of Roe, wouldn't use them again !

Back