Welsh Reds

paul k

It was interesting to see a feature on the BBC Wales programme "Iolo's Welsh Safari" last week looking at the fairly recently established population of reds in the Brecon Beacons area. They filmed a couple of juvenile stags sparring but also got a shot of a very nice stag with a good rack.

This week they were looking at the fallow in Coed y Brenin, they showed example heads of different ages and went out with thermal imagers and infra red camera looking for the deer in the dark.

Those with Sky might find BBC Wales up in the 980s and the programme goes out at 7:30 pm on Wednesdays.

paul k said:
It was interesting to see a feature on the BBC Wales programme "Iolo's Welsh Safari" last week looking at the fairly recently established population of reds in the Brecon Beacons area. They filmed a couple of juvenile stags sparring but also got a shot of a very nice stag with a good rack.

This week they were looking at the fallow in Coed y Brenin, they showed example heads of different ages and went out with thermal imagers and infra red camera looking for the deer in the dark.

Those with Sky might find BBC Wales up in the 980s and the programme goes out at 7:30 pm on Wednesdays.

Is it subtitled as I don't speak welsh

Stiller said:
paul k said:

Is it subtitled as I don't speak welsh

It's in English, almost nothing on BBC Wales is in Welsh as all that rubbish goes out on S4C, our equivalent of Channel 4.

Re: coed i brenin

swampy said:
Hi paul,
where is coed i brenin?

steve

Coed y Brenin is a large area of mixed woodland between Dolgellau and Trawsfynydd bisected by the A470. There are said to be 400 fallow in the area, there used to be a lot more but there was a heavy cull about 15 years ago and numbers have been kept down since then.

There are also some roe in the area but I understand that the FC have a shoot on sight policy on roe in Wales at the moment.

Re: Programme

Jean Hardy said:
Is the programme on every week or was it a one off ??

It is weekly but is a general natural history programme and will not include deer every week.

Back