Cordless Drills

My vote's for Ryobi One+ Lithium batteries, admittedly I've not given them any sort of serious abuse, but the batteries can be used for other cordless gear in their range like circular saws etc. also buying extra batteries will never be a problem.

I have had:
DeWalk 18v
Bosch Grey 18v
Bosch Blue 18v
Bosch Green 24v
Ryobi 14v

Ryobi died.
DeWalt is good but overpriced IMO
Bosch grey battery died
Bosch Green in 24v was unstoppable and would rip the heads off screws and bolts that other drills would wince at, only died as the batteries stopped holding charge after 5 years of abuse
Bosch Blue is a Li Ion battery, very light and pretty robust, batteries charge quickly and hold for a decent time.

drills are drills IMO
Its batteries that let you down.
if you can get one with three, do it

replacing them is more than the drill

Another vote for Makita

I have used many at work, the Dewalts keyless chucks were not up to hard usage, hitachi's lasted about 8 months, Ryobi surprisingly lasted OK even in the harsher offshore weather eating them alive but Makita last the longest and are the bench mark.

Someone left a wee Makita 18v battery gun sitting in a basket on one of our underwater vehicle's and it went down to -2000m sea water.
When it came back on deck, we dried it out, quick blast with WD40 and it's still working 3 years on. Can't really complain at that!! :D

I got a Makita with 2 batts for DIY (I'm a soft-handed office monkey by day.....).

Can't fault it, does everything I want it to. Battery charge in 30 mins, pokey enough for drilling into bricks.

I had have two Bosch and the three batteries I have went dudd, but look on net on how to zapp more power into them with either a mig welder or two car batteries.....mine went fron 6 volt knackered to 26 volt

Using these things professionally I have concluded that if you buy bottom of the range stuff you throw it away frequently (batteries that won't recharge,broken gearboxes & chucks) . Makita & Bosch seem to cost a fortune and I can never bring myself to spend the money on them. So that leaves the mid-range tools, the versatility of the Ryobi range is of interest and my next cordless will probably be one of these. I will definately go for the Li-ion battery in nothing less than 18volt and preferably 24v (I find the lesser stuff to gutless to be of much use):p

Please say it's not with Ni-Cad batts!

Is there a poll option for when you post. A poll may give the OP a better idea on recommendations.

Makita, Li Ion: like buying optics, buy the best and you won't regret it. Bell Tools in Bristol are main SWest main agents and do deals. Got mine on VAT free promotion. Was still expensive but worth it. You dont need the metal versions unless you are a professional user.

Will post model no if I get a chance.

D

Aside from the choice of which drill, I'd recommend buying from Screwfix, they've been very good about refunding stuff I've destroyed, like a right-angle drill chuck and a steam cleaner (my wife did pull the pipe a bit too much).

Back