screw cut how much does it cost

I paid £75 last time I got a thread cut but that was not proofed. It was going to be £150 proofed.

You don't have to have your rifle proofed but if you want to sell it on then it is a legal requirement, or so I'm told.

Cheshire gun room......£35........doesn't need reproofing (cant remember the name of the expert opinion, I'm sure someone will though)

I paid £75 last time I got a thread cut but that was not proofed. It was going to be £150 proofed.

You don't have to have your rifle proofed but if you want to sell it on then it is a legal requirement, or so I'm told.
That is correct.

Yep Sportsman (NEWPORT, Shaun or Mike)charged me and my mate £35 and £55 depending on what it's for, Blasers are more expensive.:D

Despite the proof houses trying to put the myth about, it is NOT necessary to get a barrel re-proofed after threading. To require a reproof, you would have to do something that "significantly weakened" a load bearing part. Now, firstly the muzzle takes very little load, and for very short amounts of time. The pressure at the muzzle is tiny. Secondly cutting the thread doesn't significantly weaken it. It could be argued in fact that the addition of a moderator strengthens the muzzle.

Despite the proof houses trying to put the myth about, it is NOT necessary to get a barrel re-proofed after threading. To require a reproof, you would have to do something that "significantly weakened" a load bearing part. Now, firstly the muzzle takes very little load, and for very short amounts of time. The pressure at the muzzle is tiny. Secondly cutting the thread doesn't significantly weaken it. It could be argued in fact that the addition of a moderator strengthens the muzzle.

100% correct

Whatever you do, please please please make sure you get a decent gunsmith, a guy I know down the range purchased a very expensive rifle and the gunsmith he took it to for the screw thread cut 50mm off of the barrel, totally kabushed the barrel and lost the warranty as well. Has now paid out again to have the mod screw thread re done and recrowned. shoots sweet now, BUT many tears have flowed I can tell you

+1 on philip.. go on recommendation. Ive seen a 19'' barrel which started at 24'' and was cut and threading was attempted 4 or 5 times but they kept getting it wrong, that ended up in a new barrel and lots of tears..

Ive heard of our local gun shop threading their own barrels.. as far as im aware none of them have an engineering background, certainly not professional anyways, it scares the living daylight out of me to think theyre fiddling with peoples pride and joy.

I have had a few rimfires threaded for £25 to £50, all looked ok, but that is as far as it went.
Moderators came lose, groups opened up etc, further checking revealed crowns out of true to the bore, same with the threads.
A thread gauge revealed under size threads that were also cut to deep and with incorrect angles.
The last rifles I had done were both C/F's, having learned my lesson I took them both to Mike Norris, he did an excellent job on both.
Cost was £90 each, not cheap particularly two at a time, but I will be going back to see him after Xmas to get my butchered CZ.22lr done properly.
For me Telford is a 350 mile round trip but well worth it to know a perfect job has been done, and that the rifle will once again shoot well.

Neil. :)

only one guy for me.

Neil McKillop of Mckillop rifles,

£150, is a lot of money to pay but the rifle will be done with the best target crown you will find in the uk, he has to send it for proofing as his company insurance requires him to do so. and the rifle will be away for about 2 weeks on a good run.

bob.

The last time I commented on a thread about the cost of barrel threading I took quite a lot of abuse referring to cheap jobs as not possibly being any good.
What a load of rubbish, the price does not always have an indication of the quality.
If a good engineer has the correct equipment and skill he can do the job in minutes and his personal pride makes sure he does a good job and the cost need not be much more than £25 - £30.
It has only been recent years, with the upsurge in moderator usage on centre fire rifles, that some gunsmiths or engineers that gunsmiths use, have learned they can command more money or they might do a bit of a clean round of the rifle while they have it just to justify their extra price.
Their was a time when .22 rifles were the only rifles that could be used with moderators and could be done for £20 or less, the engineer knew that if he asked for more he wouldn't get the job.
The engineering principles are the same for centre fire rifles but CF rifle owners seem to think there is more hocus pocus involved so are willing to pay more.

Whilst collecting a rifle from Steve Kershaw that he screwed a new barrel onto for me he showed me the muzzle end of a .22 L/R (Rimfire) barrel he had cut off, about 5" long, from a well known and respected German maker and the bore was well out of true to the barrels O/D and we are talking well over 1mm off centre :eek:.

Methinks turning rings won't help on that one :rolleyes:.

As I have not been back up there I don't know what the outcome was but it was an eye opener.

My engineering background is 43 years long and I would say that if the bore is off centre it should not matter because a decent lathe turning operator will put the tube between centres on his lathe with at the muzzle end the use of a rotating centre (turns with the tube so it gets no wear) to avoid damage to the crown.
Martin

Back