Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What equipment do you use when you high seat hunt?

What equipment do you use when you high seat hunt?

Leaving aside a gun, what other equipment is used in the UK when you high seat hunt? In the U.S. most tree stands come with a harness, though it is not yet law that you must use them. There are also companies that offer haul lines, and companies, like mine, that offer more specialized equipment for tree stand hunting.

I'm just wondering what sorts of equipment those who high seat hunt in the UK use.

Some American hunters do hunt from really high tree stands. I've heard of stands as high as 40 or 50 feet.

Most are between 12 - 20. I've done some research on this among U.S. hunters, so I know that it depends somewhat on what part of the U.S. you hunt.

Also, another question, are most high seats made of wood? I've been on some hunting supply sites that are UK based and it appears that they come in as many varieties as U.S. tree stands. I'm just wondering if I'm correct about that.

Wow, Pete, those climbing stands must be pretty expensive.

A fiberglass high seat? Hmm, doesn't seem like that would be very sturdy.

I know from doing some research that there does seem to be more instances of hand built wooden stands in the U.K. We don't see as many of those in the U.S. Also, it seems to me that the stands in the UK are less tree dependant. In the U.S. the stands are specifically designed to be used in connection with a tree. Pictures I've seen of high seats in the U.K. give me the impression that they are designed more to be free standing structures.

If I'm mistaken in that, please let me know.

Carl Gustaf

I have a portable high seat from Jagersports, its made in Germany and folds down to the size of a large suit case. Very good ally body with plastic seat. I've fallen out of it a couple of times but hey its character building. Wouldn't fancy a safety harness, next thing you know we will all be wearing 'Day-glo' vests like you colonials!

High Seat

I have a portable high seat from jaegersport there are very good, it fold down and very portable,can get it in most vehicles including cars.
    I have quite a lot of seats in semi fixed positions and so have not use it for a couple years. I am willing to sell it for 150 thats less than half price, it is mint condition if you are interested e mail me or phone on 07768 094484. I live near jct 18 M4.

I don't know Carl, I've spoken with a lot of hunters over here who have been saved from serious injury by a safety harness. Sometimes "we colonials" do have a good idea or two.

To be fair, there are a great many hunters over here who don't like the harnesses and don't wear them. While blaze orange is required in most states, harnesses are not.

Carl Gustaf

Hi Gunslinger, Quite right about the safety harness and Day-glo vest. Its easy to forget that America is rather big and the wilderness is a real wilderness, safety first every time.

I've always fancied hunting in the States, but after watching 'Deliverence' I think I will give it a miss.

May I ask what Company you work for? I've had the virtual tour of Cabelas and was totally amazed! If we had stores like that in 'Ye Olde England' the 'looney lentil eating,feng shui,-bunny huggers' would burn them all down!