issues with Ultimate deer data

swampy1

I purchased the Ultimate deer data CD rom from BDS and installed on my PC. Unforyunately shortley afterdoing this I had problems with my PC which resulted in new hardware being installed and the loss of some programmes and data. When trying to reload the Ultimate deer data software I am presented with a message along the lines of this CD can only be installed on one computer, you have exceeded the number of time this can be installed. The securom security feature will not allow me to reinstall does anyone know of any ways around this? I have contacted securom by email, I have contacted BDS via their website all to no avail. £49.00 for something you cant use!! buyer beware nothing but a rip off:ban:

Hi Swampy. Had the same problem with the first one I received a couple of years ago. New one was sent out and loaded o.k
Hope yours does the same.
Gaz

It's hard not to slag it at £50, at that price I'd expect it to be good enough to teach a level 1 right out of the box and make your poor level 1 tutors redundant. All it seems to be is fancy looking to grab your cash and with the potection to prevent copying, it's a good money maker.

I've encountered this software copyright protection before. It uses a technique called 'destructive read' that wipes out the code.
That's to stop you naughty boys helping out others. One shot is all anyone gets. No obvious puff of smoke as the message self destructs either.

It's hard not to slag it at £50, at that price I'd expect it to be good enough to teach a level 1 right out of the box and make your poor level 1 tutors redundant. All it seems to be is fancy looking to grab your cash and with the potection to prevent copying, it's a good money maker.

You may do well you pay the £50 and brush up on the DSC1 sylabus especially if you ever plan to deliver the course in the future.:tiphat:

It even contains all of the info on firearms law and even the age requirements for borrowing rifles;).

You may do well you pay the £50 and brush up on the DSC1 sylabus especially if you ever plan to deliver the course in the future.:tiphat:

It even contains all of the info on firearms law and even the age requirements for borrowing rifles;).

ha ha, good one. I should have told the lad to come back in a couple of years really :D

I had the same issue - there is a little known fact that you can "Revoke" the license from one PC and then use the disc on another. To do this:
(This assumes D: is your CD-ROM drive)
1. Click on Start Button, choose run (or type run in the search box on Vista/Windows 7 and press enter)
2. Type in CMD and press enter
3. A black window appears, type in D: and press enter
4. Type in bds.exe /revoke and press enter

This takes the license back off the servers and means you can install the program on another computer with the original code.

If this is not possible (as I expect in your case) then the only option is to send the disc back to BDS and get a replacement.

Also, to justify the £50 cost - I have used the disc extensively over the past couple of months and having an up to date copy of the main manual and the multiple choice tests my knowledge is increasing daily - I am consistently getting over %80 on the multiple choice questions now and generally %95 on my deer recognition all through using the disc.

It is also important to point out that when the disc gets updated you can send your old one back and they will send you the new up to date one free of charge - which means you can keep up to date with current thinking and legislation as it changes, rather than having to buy another copy of the manual.

Back