Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water rail

water rail

How rare are water rails? I had to let one go from a mink trap tonight. I've never seen one anywhere round here before. Lovely little bird, it made it worth going out in the wind and sleet.

Only ever seen one myself, that was in very bad weather, my cocker flushed in out of a ditch.
    Not as close up as yourself.
    Your a long time dead..GET OUT THERE.

I once walked in my office and put my hand on the open lid of my laptop to shut it and from behind it dashed a water rail and hid behind the desk so I shut the office door and fetched my stepfather to confirm that it was a water rail,
    I think the cat must have caught it an brought it into my office and it got away from him,
    The only other one I have seen was in a bush just outside Pitlochry,

I flushed out of a ditch whilst cock shooting at Holkham Hall on the Wareham beat maybe 10 years ago. Can't remember seeing another one since though?

Fairly common but usually quite secretive? whatever that means.

Quote Originally Posted by old man View Post
    Fairly common but usually quite secretive? whatever that means.

i have never seen one before i had to google it thanks ,it looks a lovely bird,atb wayne

Rubbish picture but it was blowing a gale and sleeting like crazy

Last edited by ezzy6.5; 13-12-2011 at 21:02.

Ive only ever seen one,my dog pegged it on a rough shoot couple of years back, luckily i was able to release it unharmed.....

No shortage of them in S Wales, but they are very secretive. If you spend enough time by the water, especially around reedbeds you will see them. I see them most often when I'm fishing, but I was very suprised to see one in my back garden last year when we had the snow!
    Atb Lee