PULSAR NIGHT VISION laser

woodfordfallow

HI I have just bought a pulsar recon 550R monocular with photo/vidio.
I am very pleased with it but you can get a laser for it about £200.
Has anyone tried one .I fined that this works realy well in poor light but
not towards the moon. Its not so good with no light. Its very good for
looking over the fields on the way to high seats early mornings.
Its also very good on those nights that go dark early still in shooting
time.i had a very good deal form The gun room
regards brian

Most units have a built in IR and they usually are not great. You will often need extra illumination like a N1000 which will cost about £150/£175 to increase the light or range. They will also allow you to see eyeshine out to much farther distances.

I had a Pulsar N550 Digisight and changed the standard IR for the L808 laser and it made a fantastic difference, with the doubler attachment it was a very good unit for rabbits and foxes, you could see rabbits at a distance of at least 300 yards (confirmed with laser rangefinder). I would think the L808 being a pulsar part would fit?

Why not try a suitable filter for your favourite torch? An 850nm cut-off will be completely invisible to everything out there and should work with your monocular (AFAIR the Pulsar L808 is about 810nm). Depending on the quality of the filter, you could get sorted out for around £40 and the light spread would be better for a monocular, with the distance determined by the torch output and the quality of the filter. A few years ago, a friend and I made some up for the headlights on the landrover and you could drive quite easily (obviously not on the road) with appropriate night vision kit. The only qualifier to this is the output range of the light source - ironically, some of the very best ones concentrate all their output towards the visible spectrum (for obvious reasons) and drop off badly past about 700nm.

If you really want a laser, I've built one before in that range for a digisight and you can get some really powerful ones fairly cheaply secondhand. However, they are not for the careless as they are completely dark and can cause serious eye damage - at the very least, you need an illuminated led to show whether its on or off.

HTH
Knots

Last edited:
Why not try a suitable filter for your favourite torch? An 850nm cut-off will be completely invisible to everything out there and should work with your monocular (AFAIR the Pulsar L808 is about 810nm). Depending on the quality of the filter, you could get sorted out for around £40 and the light spread would be better for a monocular, with the distance determined by the torch output and the quality of the filter. A few years ago, a friend and I made some up for the headlights on the landrover and you could drive quite easily (obviously not on the road) with appropriate night vision kit. The only qualifier to this is the output range of the light source - ironically, some of the very best ones concentrate all their output towards the visible spectrum (for obvious reasons) and drop off badly past about 700nm.

If you really want a laser, I've built one before in that range for a digisight and you can get some really powerful ones fairly cheaply secondhand. However, they are not for the careless as they are completely dark and can cause serious eye damage - at the very least, you need an illuminated led to show whether its on or off.

HTH
Knots
Thanks for your very helpfull comments. What i need has to be portable. Me been me it needs to be safe. If you can suggest a bolt on device .If your down my way come for a fallow stalk i have lots to cull. I also have some v nice roe. f o c
brian

Thanks for your very helpfull comments. What i need has to be portable. Me been me it needs to be safe. If you can suggest a bolt on device .If your down my way come for a fallow stalk i have lots to cull. I also have some v nice roe. f o c
brian

Thanks for the generous offer Brian. Unfortunately, although I travel all over the UK for work, I never seem to get down your way (I think the last time was about four years ago).

I'll have a think about suggestions and send you a PM.

Regards
Knots

You can get a laser for about £200.
Has anyone tried one?

I have a Pulsar laser that I use with a Pulsar Titan Monocular and DSA. It's eye-safe, with a focusable beam, and very even illumination. To my mind it outperforms the (non-eye-safe) laser on my Starlight Archer, which has a more "mottled" beam, and my eye-safe Laserluchs, which isn't as bright.

I can't say whether it will perform as well with your monocular, but mine works very well with all my NV gear.

HTH

Back