Who's stalking now.

the loaded rifle swinging from his shoulder , its barrel pointing towards my face ,,,,,,,,, WTF???????????????

I have stalked with Darren on several occasions, I would put money on that being nothing more than a journalist talking their usual bollox.

Not a bad article apart from that one paragraph though.. Some good facts in there and would probably go down pretty well with your average city slicker. Slightly gory in places but its honest.

Its such a shame they let that paragraph about a loaded rifle enter the article. On another note, if anyone ever challenges me about deer populations and how they should be left to find a natural balance, i shall point them in the direction of a certain wildlife reserve in flevoland, holland.

of course it was loaded! at least I stalk with a loaded rifle, but in 'safe mode'.

barrel pointing towards his face, yep, that's right as he's walking behind,,,no one said he was looking down the barrel, just that the barrel was pointing/canting/leaning towards his face.

it's just how you read it...

Flying - When I'm asked that question about finding their own balance, I simply respond I too would like nothin more than that. All you have to do is remove all people, concrete buildings, roads and lipecidatory svestock, re introduce predatory species and leave the country as if we have never been here!!

As thats not going to happen and we have meddled so much so far then we really have to continue with the role of top of the food chain!

Theres not really much of an arguement to have after that!

Flying - When I'm asked that question about finding their own balance, I simply respond I too would like nothin more than that. All you have to do is remove all people, concrete buildings, roads and lipecidatory svestock, re introduce predatory species and leave the country as if we have never been here!!

As thats not going to happen and we have meddled so much so far then we really have to continue with the role of top of the food chain!

Theres not really much of an arguement to have after that!

I like that :thumb:

A little too "poetic-license inclined" for my liking ...e.g. "the pelt of the creature's fur" .... Yoo wot mate? :confused:

And... I sincerely hope no loaded barrel was "pointed" at his face either and I'm not accepting of PKL's idea that it only means that an upright rifle was facing toward him... pointed means pointed... and that's what you do when you aim, you do not just hold out a gun in the general direction of something and call that pointed, although I've seen some people who might try and call that "aimed" :rolleyes:

But... I guess he wrote with a newcomer's take on things, raw and without any subtlety of understanding. And... I can live with that. I can even live with his rather naive maxim that "You never shoot a wild deer in the head" given that he offers a very good reason why you wouldn't choose to do it.

On balance, I wouldn't seriously complain about an article that gives a fair, realistic and interesting depiction of stalking and its whys and wherefores from a willing newbies point of view, flaws and all.

Last edited:
On balance I thought it was alright. Better than most in fact, even touching on the hunter/gatherer instinct at the end.

Back