Superstitions?!

Herne

We've all heard of the the old "lucky socks" etc.

last night after I got home from another fruitless outing my dearly beloved said to me:

"It's that new rifle ever since you got it, you've got it you've barely seen a deer, the ones you've seen you haven't been able to shoot and the ones you've shot have tunred into a drama"!

I hate to say it but she's right - I've got a Jonah rifle! A more rational mind might point out, lack of time, 16 hours of total darkness, intense cold, and the ground holding a reduced deer population in winter!!

I was wondering what superstitions, lucky or unlucky, others may attribute their success (or lack of it) others might have?

H.

Look on the bright side Herne "everything comes in three's". everybody goes though blank periods.

whats for you won't go by you

Atb, Buck.

True! I am fine with it, a wander in the woods with a rifle and a dog is a great day for me deer, or no deer shot or no shot.

The chances come - eventually if you are careful and ready for them.

Down to last 4 packs of sausages though.

I have this thing where after the hunting season is over, I choose the rifle I'm going to hunt with 11 months later, then I carry it, handle it, shoot it as much a possible. I even take it unloaded when I go on hikes. I leave it standing in the corner of my office and I try to always have ammunition loaded for it. Come hunting season, I am thoroughly familiar with the rifle of choice. Should I let myself be swayed by a newcomer to the gun safe, and change guns before the hunt, I seem to run into bad luck even if my shooting of the new rifle is more than proficient. I know that "luck favors the prepared" but in my case, it's got an added element to it.~Muir

(But of course, I always wear my lucky hunting trousers but that probably has nothing to do with it.)

Chuckles:

What a bunch of rational minded so and so's the Brits are, I knew someone would have a lucky something!

Agree re. prep. Nothing beats it, to tip the balance in our favour.

H

Everytime i go out its a case of luck or judement , LUCK might shoot something and am always out longer than i tell the Mrs im going to be , JUDGEMENT she always moans and passes judgement on my time keeping . :rofl: :rofl:

I always feel that quarry can detect desperation, hence the more desperate you are to connect the less likely it gets. e.g new gun syndrome, eager to christen it.... you give off 'desperation rays' and nothing shows :D

I reckon if you concentrate more on being methodical, slow and steady, go with the flow instead of trying to control everything enjoyment and success seems to follow... and if it doesn't at least you enjoyed it without the pressure. :thumb:

today i let a very nice munty doe walk daintily past the seat at about 65 yrds in the hope a nice roe doe or fallow doe may grace the same path between 2 woods ........they did not :D i was kinda hoping that sort of kind gesture on my part may make the deer gods smile down on me :D

today i let a very nice munty doe walk daintily past the seat at about 65 yrds in the hope a nice roe doe or fallow doe may grace the same path between 2 woods ........they did not :D i was kinda hoping that sort of kind gesture on my part may make the deer gods smile down on me :D

Never left one deer for another but used to do it with fox but never has a deer poped out after I have left a fox. I have shot fox then deer 20 or 30 mins later!! Take the opertunitys when they are presented.

Dave

Back