dsc2 portfolio charges

:Dhi just wondering how much you witness guys charge to write up the portfolio after three successful stalks,
having just spent a small fortune on registering for my dsc2 and paying for let days,ill now soon have enough evidence
for my witness to write up ready to submit,a mate of mine has just been quoted 300 is this the norm
cheers simon
merry xmas all

:Dhi just wondering how much you witness guys charge to write up the portfolio after three successful stalks,
having just spent a small fortune on registering for my dsc2 and paying for let days,ill now soon have enough evidence
for my witness to write up ready to submit,a mate of mine has just been quoted 300 is this the norm
cheers simon
merry xmas all
Hmmmm
Your AW should write up each stalk after each stalk,some people charge some don't
Your witness is by the look of it(might be mistaken)holding you to ransom,ie he's kept your portfolio and is now charging you to write it up,just how I read it,might be wrong
If I'm taking someone out for a stalk for DMQ 2,I fill out the portfolio after the stalk and give it back to the candidate after completion of the stalk
It is after all the candidates portfolio not the AWs

Last edited:
From the guys that I know who do this service they all charge differently with some including this service in with the cost of a days stalk. In your case I think I would have been enquiring from my witness before hand just how much he/she intended to charge. Bit late now if the charge is way over what you would wish to pay.

I had a total of 5 different witness's for my 3 ICR's and wasn't charged a penny neither have most people I know doing it.

On my level one course we were advised to avoid anyone charging for doing the paperwork.

The paperwork must be done on the day except in exceptional circumstances and we were advised not to leave the paperwork with the witness as in the passed some people have had there paperwork held to ransom.

From the guys that I know who do this service they all charge differently with some including this service in with the cost of a days stalk. In your case I think I would have been enquiring from my witness before hand just how much he/she intended to charge. Bit late now if the charge is way over what you would wish to pay.

+1 on Gazza's comments. Consult your AW. Remember all your efforts in the field are not worth anything, if they are not accurately and correctly written up in the portfolio. Good luck. JCS

for my witness to write up ready to submit,a mate of mine has just been quoted 300 wow did his witness have a mask and a horse is this the norm theft £300.00 a day is he sending a limo for him
cheers simon
merry xmas all

Daylight robbery you don't pay for a AW ticket theres no expensive training for it, why the huge price for it inflated by those that are in a hurry to gain another bit of paper gain experience not bits of paper as for the cost of AW mmmmm workable expenses fuel money which wont come to £300.00 ,have you actually looked at what he paid for, was breakfast, dinner and a jump at his wife included in the price .

I think any person who is charging for the AW paper work should be taken off the list. It should be free excepting expenses or if you don't have your own ground or deer to go at then all you should need to know is how much the person is charging for a morning/days stalking. This in my opinion is something the Deer sector should have looked at long ago.

i dont charge for witnessing but i do ask for my fuel costs to be covered if i am traveling to the candidates ground .

but if the candidate is stalking on my ground the relivant fee for the stalking ONLY is discussed well in advance and fully agreed before the agreed time and date .

but if there is a chance of a brew and a bacon butty afterwards , its always gracefully recieved !:D

I dont charge for witnessing but i do ask for my fuel costs to be covered if i am traveling to the candidates ground .

I only charge if the candidate is stalking on my ground and sort out the fee for the stalking in advance and this is agreed before the agreed time and date .

An AW can charge if he sees fit, there is no charge structure laid down by DMQ. However if you are stalking on an AW's ground it is not unreasonable to be charged for the stalk fee. Also if they are visiting you on your ground, one would expect them to charge for their fuel, and or expenses if they are a full time stalker. The witnessing and signing off, of the stalk should be includedand not incur a further cost and in most instances is, however it is down to the AW. I would advise you to make sure what you are expected to pay and ask for the rates before embarking on a Level 2 witnessed stalk. If the fees are high or considered unreasonable look for another AW nearby, DMQ will supply you with a list of AW's .

I think any person who is charging for the AW paper work should be taken off the list. It should be free excepting expenses or if you don't have your own ground or deer to go at then all you should need to know is how much the person is charging for a morning/days stalking. This in my opinion is something the Deer sector should have looked at long ago.

I don't know anyone that charges for the writing up but I know a couple with 'pro stalker' charges that match their standard outing fees + a bit exta. If that's your job and the candidate is using your ground that's fair enough.

cheers simon
merry xmas all

Obviously the guy you have engaged isnt doing his job as per the rules. Writing up a portfolio after carrying out 3 succesful stalks if other outings have been witnessed and not wriiten up at the time , isnt acceptable.

The rules are quite clear all outings have to be written up in the portfolio questions asked and answered and recorded ,along with observations of competency, whilst carrying out the modules, this record shows to the external verifyer the full history of competence of the candidate.
If I was you I would make a formal complaint, to many AW think they can administer the system the way they want to run it . Not so if the qualification or rather achievement is to mean any creedance then all the modules should be carried out correctly as DMQ advise.

Last edited:
Obviously the guy you have engaged isnt doing his job as per the rules. Writing up a portfolio after carrying out 3 succesful stalks if other outings have been witnessed and not wriiten up at the time , isnt acceptable.

The rules are quite clear all outings have to be written up in the portfolio questions asked and answered and recorded ,along with observations of competency, whilst carrying out the modules, this record shows to the external verifyer the full history of competence of the candidate.
If I was you I would make a formal complaint, to many AW think they can administer the system the way they want to run it . Not so if the qualification or rather achievement is to mean any creedance then all the modules should be carried out correctly as DMQ advise.

+ 1 well said that man, I could not agree more. :D

What a load of rubbish laphroaig you are turning the DMQ2 in to something that it was never meant to be it is an assessment of some ones ability to carry out basic PC,s. I Certainly do not carry some ones paper work around with me while out stalking i am bad enough trying to keep my note pad clean.
Please lets not get away from the fact that it is only shooting a deer safe and getting it ready for the table. It is not rocket science. In my opinion there are to many fools think that paperwork makes you a good stalker.The DMQ SYSTEM IS TO COMPLICATED AND IT IS TIME IT WAS CHANGED

What a load of rubbish laphroaig you are turning the DMQ2 in to something that it was never meant to be it is an assessment of some ones ability to carry out basic PC,s. I Certainly do not carry some ones paper work around with me while out stalking i am bad enough trying to keep my note pad clean.
Please lets not get away from the fact that it is only shooting a deer safe and getting it ready for the table. It is not rocket science. In my opinion there are to many fools think that paperwork makes you a good stalker.The DMQ SYSTEM IS TO COMPLICATED AND IT IS TIME IT WAS CHANGED

Unfortunately your incorrect and I suggest that if you intend to continue in writing up and acting as a DMQ AW then the modules are completed as and when a candidate is engaged at the end of the day after referal to your field notes , Invairably a stalk is not succesful and there are other issues in the module that have to be addressed and witnessed and not complete on the day.

He then can complete the remaining part of the unfinished module later , possibly with some other AW

The System is fine RTA its those who try to administer it in a manner that is incorrect that can create problems.
A candidate may have many AWs making out his portfolio, and each stage of the modules has to be signed off accordingly on the day it was carried out to show a true account. Maybe you should check the proceedure with your Overseeing registered Assesor Mr T.
Whether you like it or not the rules are the rules if you dont like them and wish to change the system then make representation to the governing body at DMQ in the mean time I suggest we all abide by the criteria set.

Regards
Alan

Last edited:
Sadly the system is not fine and those that wrote the DMQ out had only one thing on there minds and that was a cash return. Any one that thinks the system is fine usually is making a fair bit of cash from it. The majority of early PF were wrote on the day but in pubs over a pint and a hand shake and cash £. You might be correct it might be time for me to stop doing PF . I have no deer park in which to use and i don't mess people around taking them walks over empty ground.
The system could be a good system but BASC and BDS would need to relinquish there monopoly on it first.

Sadly the system is not fine and those that wrote the DMQ out had only one thing on there minds and that was a cash return. Any one that thinks the system is fine usually is making a fair bit of cash from it. The majority of early PF were wrote on the day but in pubs over a pint and a hand shake and cash £. You might be correct it might be time for me to stop doing PF . I have no deer park in which to use and i don't mess people around taking them walks over empty ground.
The system could be a good system but BASC and BDS would need to relinquish there monopoly on it first.

Sorry but the system requires that both the candidate and witness act in a way that unholds the principals of it. This is no different to any other assessment based qualification where people try and cheat casting doubt on it. Honestly, having worked in secondary and further eduction for some time, I can say that in terms of a deer related qualification it is fine the way it is and those that try and cast doubt on the system generally don't know what they are talking about.

Deer stalking is not a fixed state of practice throughout the uk and so within that you have a great deal of variation between recretional and pro stalkers many of which are AW's and witness candidates. It is up to the candidate to follow DMQ guidance and ensure that the are happy with the financial arrangements and practical requirements prior to undertaking witnessed stalks. If a candidate turns up having not read the guidance notes or read up on the requirements to complete and ICR, how can that be the fault of the system.

If you don't like the system then either provide diplomatic suggestions for improvement or stop bitching about it and have nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Back