A Salutory Lesson from NZ - be careful before pulling the trigger!!!!!!

I still don't know how these things happen. A terrible thing for the people and family's involved.

What has this to do with mentoring how would it help, these men would have been hunting since they were kids.it most probable has more to do with the way they carry deer out, Usually in the piggy back method the same as the Americans do if you have a long way to carry them. It cause fatalitys in the us every year.

Very sad news. I can't understand or imagine what they must be going through. A horrendous accident!

What has this to do with mentoring how would it help, these men would have been hunting since they were kids.it most probable has more to do with the way they carry deer out, Usually in the piggy back method the same as the Americans do if you have a long way to carry them. It cause fatalitys in the us every year.

do you see many deer walking on their hind legs with their heads flopping about and think "jesus, must shoot that quick before it gets away!"

I can see your point but you still have to be a weapons grade asshole to shoot a grown man in the head and say you thought it was a deer!!

Brewsher I have to agree with you on making sure what you are shooting at, but when mounted in thick cover you tend to stoop, so the head looks level I have seen it, a lot of it is to do with buck fever.

There has just been a chap released on parole over here, served 11 months of a 30 month sentence for shooting a woman who was cleaning her teeth at the time, on a public camp site, the hunter was out lamping with some mates.

Irespective of age if the idiot who pulled the trigger had robust training from an etical competant shooter I doubt it would have happened. No Identification no shot; simple!!

Dave

Devil having taken stalkers out from abroad with hunting certs and people with dsc1 +2, I can assure you there is nothing like experience . This was a tragic accident, and unless we were there it is hard to know the circumstances. Yes identifying your quarry is essential, this accident was down to buck fever, out rabbit hunting along comes a deer which dives into thick bush, reminds me of a stalker who tried to persuade me that a pony in our woods was a red hind.

If a tragic accident that implies it could happen to any responsible person. That is clearly not the case, this is gross incompetance and the individual concerned should bare the full consequences; this is manslaughter in my mind.

Dave

Back