First Fox

Cougar

A young lad, Jack, who lives locally to me had asked if he could come out with me after deer or foxes and I said yes I would be happy to take him out.

Saturday morning was our first trip out. Not a great start as he over slept and I sat outside his parents house for 25 minutes until finally he came running out the door apologizing for being late! Bloody kids! It was a hard frost that morning and because of his rushed state his lack of hat and warm coat the cold cut him to the bone! He wont make that mistake again! Nothing came out to play that morning.

Because he'd never shot a rifle before he just sat with me but on the way home we called into an area of the farm that I use to zero my rifle, so I put a target up for Jack to have a go. First 2 shots ever with a rifle.

Last edited:
Sorry hit the wrong button!

Phone-new 180.jpg

My rifle is set up to shoot high at 50yds dead on at 150yds so Jack was bang on!

This morning I picked Jack up only 5 minutes late, getting better! Wind was strong and not really helping us, add to that Jacks cold and cough! Still we made it to a seat and settled in. Jack looked shocked when I passed him the rifle and went through the do's and don'ts, with a last word of "only when I say ok do you shoot!".

From the dark of 06.30 to good light of 7.45 nothing happened. I was just about to say lets call it a day when some magpies started to chatter to the right of us, I pulled a hand call out and started calling. A minute later a flash of movement caught my eye and I could make out a fox coming in. I told Jack to get the rifle ready and the fox stepped onto the ride, Jack had the rifle on the rail and all looked good. The the fox turned and started to move up the ride, what the hell! Jack is fighting with the safety catch so I paused him, flick it off for him and gave the fox a squeak, the fox stops 80yds out and I told Jack to shoot. 3 seconds went by and then the rifle barked.

Foxing 032.jpg

shooting your first fox will be the one you remember,no matter how many you shoot in the future,nice one........

That looks great! :) Do you know, I'd never thought about mounting up a fox skull - don't know why! I think I'll have to sort one out to go next to all the deer antlers/skulls. :)

Thanks Paddy! He was lucky as the fox he shot was in perfect health, to many muntjac fawns!

Back