Thread: Christmas Day

Christmas Day

Is it Frowned upon or ilegal to shoot on christmas day, im not thinking about shooting on christmas day but ive always wondered why it is frowned upon especially with so many different religions and beliefs in the world .

My dad being 78 still frowns big time on me shooting on sundays so if i went out christmas day? God help me!!
    Christmas day used to be a family day but the years have changed, family and religion wise.
    As long as you are not disturbing someone elses peace and quiet i can`t see the harm in it but there will always be those that object.
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

As I'm working Christmas day I shall take my 22around the cattle and sheep in case I see any vermin

i wouldn't raise a gun to anything good friday or christmas day i was sorely tempted one year when i found a feral tomcat in my silkie pen
    anyway here from the BASC website
    England and Wales

Game for the purposes of this section means pheasant, partridge, red grouse, black grouse and hare.
    No game may be killed or taken in any county on Sunday or Christmas Day.
    Before the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 orders prohibiting the shooting of wildfowl on Sundays were made under sections 2 and 13 of the Protection of Birds Act 1954. Those still in existence are in the following counties (or parts of counties in existence before the 1974 local authority re-organisation):
    Anglesey, Brecknock, Caernarvon, Carmarthen, Cardigan, Cornwall, Denbigh, Devon, Doncaster, Glamorgan, Great Yarmouth County Borough, Isle of Ely, Leeds County Borough, Merioneth, Norfolk, Pembroke, Somerset, North and West Ridings of Yorkshire.

There are no statutory restrictions on the killing of game on Sunday or Christmas Day but it is not customary to do so. Wildfowl may not be shot on Sunday or Christmas Day.
    Northern Ireland

All wild birds are protected on Sundays and Christmas Day, under the Wildlife (Northern Ireland) Order1985. No deer, rabbit or game may be shot on a Sunday or Christmas Day.
    Isle of Man

The killing or taking of game is not permitted on Sunday. There are no restrictions on shooting on Christmas Day unless it falls on a Sunday.

Shooting is not permitted on Sunday or Christmas Day.

The use of a firearm to kill any wild bird or animal is not permitted on Sunday, Good Friday and Christmas Day unless acting under and in accordance with the terms or conditions of a licence.