Thread: dodgy kidneys

dodgy kidneys

My mate in essex shot a roe on Monday morning. During the gralloch one of the kidneys ruptured or burst. It was very watery and afterwards it looked like the remainder of the kidney was cratered. On further inspection the other kidnay was the same.

Is this likely to be hydraphrenisis (apologies for spelling) or could it be pulpy kidbey disease? Is is fit to eat (not the kidney, obviously)

Does sound a bit like hydronephrosis to me.

Try googling Wilson's Practical Meat Inspection Hydronephrosis deer' and it should take you to a google book page - if you look back in the bovine section the advice seems to be reject the kidneys, but rest of the meat should be ok.

Best wishes

Nephritis of the kidney.
    Kidney looks normal until you realise that there is a membrane covering the cratered part of the kidney.
    We tend to find it when there is a high sheep population on the ground along with fluke.
    Carcass perfectly edidble!

shootingduckdog: You have described hydronephrosis. Congenital cysts are smaller and there are more of them, also the colour is more normal. In both cases bin them carcass is fit to eat. Pulpy kidney occurs on a rising plain of nutrition unlikely this time of the year. Good practical test is take kidney and hold under a good stream of tap water and most of kidney floats away leaving you with a skeleton like remainder. You can do the same by swishing around in a bucket of water same result, condemn the carcass.

thanks boys, top info. I'll tell my mate he can keep the venison instead of giving it all to friends and neighbours

i bet mine are like that after the amount of gin and tonics i had out with work last night,bad as a dog.