Sea Eagle v Golden Eagle

WestCoastStalker

I've heard a rumour that there has been a golden eagle found killed and after an autopsy carried out, funded by the RSPB, the cause of death has been caused by talon marks from a sea eagle. Could anyone confirm or deny this?

From what I've heard this was a story that was going to be leaked as a potential poisoning but when they found out the real cause they couldn't hush it up quick enough.

Now I'm definitely not against the reintroduction of the sea eagle to scotland. What I am against is the cover up of what would be a highly publicised and potentially damaging story to an organisation who are not slow in trying to damage the reputation of gamekeepers as a whole, for the illegal practices of a tiny minority.

infraguild predation , thats why goshawks kill sparrow hawks , wolves on cyotes . Couple of weeks ago i found a buzzard that must have choked trying to fetch up a pellet , all living things die is what they forget , liet them spend their money on autopsies i say

Now I'm definitely not against the reintroduction of the sea eagle to scotland. What I am against is the cover up of what would be a highly publicised and potentially damaging story to an organisation who are not slow in trying to damage the reputation of gamekeepers as a whole, for the illegal practices of a tiny minority.

Well said though there are still quite few sad people who believe in killing anything with a hooked beak out there.

Well said though there are still quite few sad people who believe in killing anything with a hooked beak out there.

And those that do continue to think that this is acceptable should be dealt with appropriately and should never be allowed to work in the sporting industry again.

Surprised to hear that! If i was to put money on one of them i'd go for the Golden eagle every time. Being the more active hunter, more aggressive and more powerful - albeit a tad down on size. Went looking for a clip to illustrate my point and found this ! - WHAT! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v45rTayXtzk

What about the report that the decline in capercallie numbers is due to predation by pine martins? Hush hush now. Pine martin numbers have rocketed in the highlands in the last 20 years or so and they are very efficient killers of birds(My poor chickens found that out one night when I lived in wester ross.Total carnage). I agree that the illegal persecution of protected species is unacceptable.

I agree that the illegal persecution of protected species is unacceptable.

Absolutely, but the reason they were protected in the first place was that they were in danger of being wiped out and that's no longer a risk, or indeed the problem. There'll be no end to the illegal killing of protected predators until there's a managed legal alternative in place of the current fiasco of unobtainable control licenses.

I am dead against the reintroduction of sea eagles, they were introduced to Mull and they have created havock among newborn and not so young lambs. No consultation with farmers and no compensation for farmers. Ideology is fine when there are no consequences but when folks livelihoods are at stake it is unpardonable to put the wants of the few before the needs of the many.

I am dead against the reintroduction of sea eagles, they were introduced to Mull and they have created havock among newborn and not so young lambs. No consultation with farmers and no compensation for farmers. Ideology is fine when there are no consequences but when folks livelihoods are at stake it is unpardonable to put the wants of the few before the needs of the many.

Then lets get off our lazy arse's and try to work things out so the farmers get compensation from people like the RSPB who want to release these wonderful birds back into our environment. Put the infighting and back biting aside and work hand in hand. I for one would love to see these majestic birds inhabiting our beautiful countryside.

Fully agree that illegal persecution of raptors is 100% unacceptable and should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

At the same time, I think that we have reached the point where there is urgent need for a licenced, permitted translocation programme for problem areas, and that the game organisations should be pushing EN/SNH for that to be introduced pronto.

Back