Poaching

User00004

Can someone give a reasonable time line for decomposing internal organs left in the elements.

I was out on my permission yesterday and shot a nice Doe, not 10 feet from where I shot her was what appeared to be a gralloch, once I cleaned out my Doe, I had a quick look about and forund 2 rear legs, cleanly broken.

As there has been knowone on there shooting "With in the law", for over a year, I was just wanting some sort of indication to time scales.

The rear legs still had fur/skin on them but I know that praying animals will leave these anyway,but the gralloch.........

Cheers

TJ

TJ,
you haven't stated the state of composition. Was the liver etc with the gralloch, was there grass or vegetation in the gralloch, did the legs have complete fur covering, or partial.

At this time of year decomposition is going to be slower than in the summer.

I would suggest it has been recent if there is a gralloch present!

J

The Roe Gralloch that I have left in the grass has disappeared inside two days from February onwards. Stomach and intestines.
Fallow took longer, Magpies were still pecking the fat off the stomach after a couple of days, but everything (intestines) else was gone.
There are a lot of hungry predators this time of year, Charlie and Raptors.

TJ it looks like you were not long behind him i have seen
grallochs gone the same night and even in an area were predators are kept well down the gralloch has gone in a few days.

It was the green gralloch that was left, well the stomach to be precise, it was not that fresh, I recon I could have split the lining had I just poked my finger into it, not that I wanted to to be honest. Cannie set of Bal*s to do the gralloch and remove the legs, there was nothing else, the legs had near full coverage apart from where something had tried to get under the skin to get to the meat......

Gutted to be honest, but I suppose it goes on everywhere, I will look into getting one of those camera things that work in the night and are movement activated, there are 2 access points for vehicles to get in and they both cross at the same point so an ambush I think might be in order. Although I have not seen any sign of vehicles accept mine, unless they are running the same tyres.

It was a Roe, hopefully a Doe, there are not to many Bucks on the ground that I have seen, I have spotted 13 Lovely Sika Stags on the ground and 2 pricketts, I really don't want any of these to be taken. Don't want anything to be taken to be honest.

Cheers

TJ

Hi tartinjock The rumen contents are very acid so the lining and muscle would deteriorate quickly. I with jingzy on this you have a visitor :( all be it an unwelcome one. Go carefully as a professional stalker friend of mine was slashed by poacher and he is a very big boy.

TJ,

did you find the gralloch near a road access, if so it could be lamping, if not, then discard that and try to be about at opportune times, morning and evening. Also, I know you have just picked this bit of ground up, so has the previous stalker been told that he is not welcome any more? Is there any history of poaching on that bit of land? You can be sure that they will take anything that moves. It is possible that it is a neighbour if it is on the edge of a march.

Always have a camera in your pocket and only take photos if you catch them, then ask them politely to leave after phoning the police.

Ask local keepers who to possibly look out for, they will also want to know if there is poaching going on near their estates.

Hope this helps

care

I second morena. By all means gather some info but dont get involved in any ambushing. Even if you dont get hurt I suspect your local chief constable already thinks the culprits arent suitable for firearms ownership but you must be ok so far. You wont be if you get into a confrontation.

Hopefully they will move off and leave you alone.

The place I found it was about 1/2 mile into the ground. and about 1/2 a mile from the boundry. The tennant next to me is by chance is a very high positioned Civil Servant. I will get someone I know well, who knows him well to ask.

Cheers for the input.

TJ

tartinjock said:
The place I found it was about 1/2 mile into the ground. and about 1/2 a mile from the boundry. The tennant next to me is by chance is a very high positioned Civil Servant. I will get someone I know well, who knows him well to ask.

Cheers for the input.

TJ

That`s a long way in to be opportunists. Could it be someone who still thinks they have permission there?
basil.

If the chaps got permission there or had it might be a misunderstanding mate that can be sorted with a we chat you will meet him if this is the case.
If he has,nt and he is a poacher take care with regards 1/2 mile in that not really far you just got to remember were TJ is .Most of the Scots still shoot were they like and don't think twice about distance. The further you are in the least likely you are to get caught. ;)

TJ, I have two shoots, one where I have pheasants and although there are roe there I do not shoot them. I do strict fox control on this ground. The other is deer only as there is a pheasant syndicate and also the estate hunt the ground for fox. (not very successfully cause I see lots of them)

Gralloch on the deer shoot disappears overnight. Almost every year at this time my pheasant shoot gets visited by poachers with dogs. I have caught them out a couple of times but always call the local cops. On this shoot I find gralloch often quite far in and off the beaten track. I would think lamped and chased down with dogs.

I would think you will have a good number of fox so going by my comparision the gralloch you have found must be fairly recent and as a result of poachers.

If you have not dealt with poachers before my advice is be very careful. Report poaching now, make the local cops aware of who you are etc so if you do come across them your call to the Police can be dealt with better.

Cheers Everyone,

I'll get onto the Police after Boxing Day, I will also notify the Tennant's either side.

Have a good Crimbo Day.

TJ

We have an greement with all of our neighbours that we can keep any deer which are shot on our side of the boundary and we need to follow onto theirs. We return the favour to them (no one wants rotting carcasses or wasted meat left about the place). Otherwise they could follow and shoot if need be, but not remove.

Some one could follow a wounded animal onto our side, perform the gralloch and take the beast away, so if I found a gralloch I'd check it wasn't a case of that first. Good manners mean we inform each other if this happens, but the lines of communication from guest to stalker to manager to landowner and back down again often get clogged up.

Our local police do say that poaching is a very rare occurence where we are. Or at least they rarely come across it - lots of different other places and acres to do it discretely. Too many pairs of eyes around here.

Or it could be the owner or their guest or friends, or their children - owners can and do, do what they want on their land even when they have stalkers already!

6.5 x 55 said:
If the chaps got permission there or had it might be a misunderstanding mate that can be sorted with a we chat you will meet him if this is the case.
If he has,nt and he is a poacher take care with regards 1/2 mile in that not really far you just got to remember were TJ is .Most of the Scots still shoot were they like and don't think twice about distance. The further you are in the least likely you are to get caught. ;)

Steady on there old chap :eek:

Ads

I find just as many poaching bastards in Scotland as I do in England. Although to some extent it is easier to find out who the local problem makers are up Inverness way as most local folk know who they are.

On the other hand in Southern England it to a greater extent is the travelling community :rolleyes: and these are not so easy to trace or come to terms with as they are not nice people as a rule.

Poachers should be added to the VERMIN list ;)

I certainly do not agree Sika Malc .Some poachers do it because they have no were to shoot or the land they poach has no shooters on but holds plenty of deer. I have never agreed with commercial poaching it goes against my well established principles .But the romantic notion of a man taking one for the pot or one for the barter is still real to day. Might i add this is north of Hadrian's wall i do not know anything about stalkers over the border.. ;)
roedeera.jpg

Deer on my ground the fence behind separates my ground from council ground it stretches for 2 miles and they have a policy of no hunting (labour ) Can we let small minded politicians wreck our deer management plans. :lol: :lol:

sikamalc said:
I find just as many poaching bastards in Scotland as I do in England. Although to some extent it is easier to find out who the local problem makers are up Inverness way as most local folk know who they are.

On the other hand in Southern England it to a greater extent is the travelling community :rolleyes: and these are not so easy to trace or come to terms with as they are not nice people as a rule.

Poachers should be added to the VERMIN list ;)

Now that i do agree with :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ads

6.5 x 55 said:
Some poachers do it because they have no were to shoot or the land they poach has no shooters on but holds plenty of deer. I have never agreed with commercial poaching it goes against my well established principles .But the romantic notion of a man taking one for the pot or one for the barter is still real to day.

Your "well established principles" obviously don't seem to include upholding the rule of law. I wonder if either of your FAC referees are members of this forum. If so I guess they wont be 'signing you off' next time around as you appear to condone law breaking activity - not exactly what a Chief Officer would expect from someone requesting a FAC.

I have always wondered about where that so called 'romantic notion' comes from. In 2008 how many folk are that poor they have to steal meat to feed their families or themselves. You imply that you poach deer off the adjoining Council land so as to ensure better deer management - so presumably you don't do it for the pot or for barter? No romance then - simple self gratification, or an anti-Labour vote?

Back