Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time butchering

First time butchering

hi all and merry christmas, having my first crack at the said above ,for a roe deer l got today,

what is the best video clip to watch, there are hundreds on you tube,also how long should i let it hang?
    thanks guys,sorry if this is else where but i did have a look,

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Nairn, Inverness-shire
    Have a look at this, got put on this site by someone ages ago, can't remember who, I copied the link.

There is a series of 3 video clips on you tube where they skin a Roe and then butcher it into different cuts.
    Well worth a look

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    There's also a very good DVD/Video by Dave Stretton on skinning and butchering a deer. PM me if you'd like to borrow a copy.

Hang it until it starts to smell. Skin on, head and legs off.

It all depends where you are hanging your deer.

I keep mine in a fridge, not perfect but good enough, only because the air is not circulating like a larder. Venison is best chilled at 7 degrees if you can.
    I keep mine in there usually between 5 and 10 days.

For butchering try this

For me with all deer I do this:
    1. Have it hanging by the rear legs.
    2. Cut off the two front legs and put to the side for boning, then using the meat for stews, mince, burgers, sausages.
    3. Trim off the belly meat and any meat and fat connected to the rib cage. Then cut off the ribs leaving around 5 inches next to the spine. (this is for laying flat on the freezer or table to fillet out the striploins)
    3. Make an incision across the top of the haunches and saw through the lower spine.
    4. Put spine onto a table and fillet out the loin meat, or saw through spine to make a saddle roast.
    5. Cut off lower rear legs and use for mince.
    6. Have the pair of haunches facing you, with the pelvic cavity facing up.
    7. Get a good knife and start next to the bone and edge away the meat slowly, this can take a bit of practice. When you see the ball joint, try to get in behind it and cut the tendons, this allows the leg to pull away from the pelvis. From here, just scrape the knife up against the pelvis all the way until the haunch falls away.

I think I will do a picture gallery the next time for beginners.

Hope this helps.

The first of the three parter on YouTube is at:

and you can get to the other two from there.

You have just discovered that the hard work starts after the deer is dead.

It is an ethical requirement to make the maximum possible use of the fallen animal, so I would offer the following tips:

1. Clean down your meat handling area and tools, put away anything which is not needed as otherwise it will be splattered with meat juices - I use my kitchen, but you may have a special area. Remember to ensure that you have enough cleaning materials to clean up afterwards as well.

2. Decide what you want to achieve before you start work - roasting joints, casserole meat, mince or whatever. Plan your cuts accordingly - for example, reserve one leg for a joint, a shoulder for casserole and so on. Don't just hack away, spend a few minutes preparing: you may want to consult with the cook at your house to see what they would like.

3. Generally, the front half of a deer is best slow-cooked or minced, the back half is best for roasting or leg steaks. The skirt is pretty much only fit for mince. Backstraps are the best cuts and should be kept for steaks.

4. Study your deer before you cut and feel around the major muscle groups and joints with your fingers, understanding how it all fits together. With this knowledge in mind, you can dismember a deer with just a few cuts, provided they are in the right places.

5. Divide up the cut meat into handy portion sizes. I live with my wife only so I tend to make up small portions of about 400g each. If you have a bigger family, obviously you can make your bags bigger. Double wrap everything to prevent freezer burn.

6. Label everything with date, origin, sex, species, cut and weight. Don't let your hard-won venison become "mystery meat" at the bottom of the freezer.

7. If you are giving your meat away to family and friends, remember that they will probably appreciate it most if you do as much of the work as possible, presenting the meat just like in the supermarket.

8. When you have finished, stash the meat in the fridge overnight to cool down and then put it in the freezer set to "fast freeze".

9. Keep the bones for making stock with - much better than regular Oxo cubes. If it is a big beast like a red deer, you can have a go at eating the bone marrow too - delicious!

10. Clean up carefully after work and remember to clean your gralloching knife, carcass tray and all your other stuff at the same time.

11. Give some thought to disposal of scraps - my council take away meat and bones via a "green bin" scheme, but yours may vary, so check first.

Good luck - your first home-killed venison will taste great!

Roe i bone out completely. Dogs have the bones, head etc. Boneing saves all those punctured freezer bags. Haunchs i cut in half. I take of the fillet " best end and saddle" in one bit and cut in half. Don't forget the inner fillet. The front i dice for casserole meat.
    Moose meat is all frozen boned as well and there is quite a bit of mince from a moose

cutting up

Jingzy wrote
    i think i will do a picture gallery the next time for beginners
    i for one would like to see that as i end up with lots of stewing meat