FEO Visit 3rd Jan - Any tips/advice

TimFuller

All, I have my FEO visit arranged for next week (3rd Jan) for my licence application.
I currently have a Shotgun ticket and have the pre requisite cabinet already installed (made sure the one I purchased at the time was ok for FAC).

I am applying for a .243 with Mod for deer and fox. Have had a discussion with FEO and he seemed ok just said that they would prob put a mentoring condition on the ticket for an initial period and then maybe a "only shoot from an elevated position" condition. I have my DSC1 booked for mid Feb.

I have been out a few times with a couple of local lads (sussexfallow and Andy stalker) big thanks to them.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice that may help ease the process or previous experiences that they can share ?

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim listern to all he has to say and make sure your answers are precise and informed, remember he is just the go between for you and the cheif cons, make sure he knows what you want and what you want it for stand up for your self, dont let him tell you what you can have and can not have, above all be well informed on your chosen sport and the firearms needed for it.

paul

Take nothing for granted. Be ready. Have copies of for him, Shooting permission, insurance, names of friends that will give you alternative shooting preferably someone that will be on his list. If he sees you are efficient that is half the battle. If you remove a gun from the cabinet open it to show it is empty. And has been said listen to what he has to say. Jim

Resist any daft conditions they try to impose. You don't have to go along with their 'suggestions' it is fair to ask for your application to go forward as it is. You a member of a shooting organisation?

Make sure you have the kettle on and some decent biscuits. Try to ask them some questions, every time I see my FEO I'd guess I ask 75% of the questions.

Do you have land to shoot over or is this for paid stalking? If you have land did you think of asking for a rimfire at the same time? It WILL cost you more when you do variations! I warn you it's addictive.

Mentoring? Elevated position? Your having a laugh. Say yes to the elevated position, if your on a bipod your rifle is elevated, (to vague) mentoring is not practical, it relies on your mentor being able to get out at the same time and puts the onus on him / her to say that they feel that your safe or not, thats not fair on them. I'd stick my heals in if I were you, tell the FLO what you want and stick to your guns. Excuse the pun!

Heat up the oil, about boiling should do, and make sure the man traps all work. Just t let him know how welcome he is :stir:.

If he mentions people being killed with firearms that were/had been legally held, ask him to explain the deaths of Derek Bateman, John Shorthouse, James Ashley, Harry Stanley, Andrew Kernan, Jean Charles de Menezes, or Mark Duggan

Well now that's a new one on me. How on earth would they enforce that?

Easy
They just put it in the notes on land suitability and it becomes a hidden condition
Get caught breaking that and possible loss of licence
This is why you get some places that are high seat only due to this factor alone

Just be so careful with the conditions the FEO may try and add without good reason, they create traps for the unwary to fall into. If you are unhappy the advice to ask the application to be processed 'as written' would apply.

Just when you think you've heard it all... what will they think of next?

shooting from an elevated position only!!!... OMFG :eek: I'm sorry but this shite needs to stop, as long as we the shooting community keep accepting these conditions they will continue to take the pesh.

Just when you think you've heard it all... what will they think of next?

shooting from an elevated position only!!!... OMFG :eek: I'm sorry but this shite needs to stop, as long as we the shooting community keep accepting these conditions they will continue to take the pesh.

TBH
Warwickshire hav been trying this for years as when it comes to land suitability they don't hav a clue....!!!

I had a high seat condition when I was granted a variation for .243, I had passed DSC1 four months previously.
The condition was placed on me (as I found out later) and not the land, although it borders the M5.
When I asked for its removal the senior licensing officer responsible for it contacted the experienced stalker who I had had a tour of the farm with to talk to me about safety and also I got a phone call from my embarrassed FEO, going through motions about safety etc.
He was passing the buck as far as he could from himself, charming.
This is the same senior licensing officer who when I asked him about the law on shooting deer out of seasons, ie farmer's defence clause, he said, "I don't know and added isn't this when farmers can shoot deer with shotguns? and when you find out can you let me know."
Another phone call from him included the question, " Can you tell me the serial number of your 22LR as we don't have it."
At the time I was advised against a complaint by Mike at BASC as he reckoned the letter would have gone round in circles before returning to me with no effect, not sure now if that is correct as I have read that these letters are taken seriously.

Last edited:
Back