reloading data

swarovski

hi all,ive been a home loader for 10 years and almost never been able to achieve velocities in the data,eg i loaded some 85gr nosler ballistic tips in my 25-06 to max load,supposidley ment to to 3600 fps,i got 3333 fps,i even tried stepping up the powder in stages,i got 2 grs over max watching for pressure signs and still was 120 fps shy,where do they come up with these velocities,i tested them again yesterday with varget,hodgdon say 3452 fps i got 3325 fps,,its hard to trust these reloading manuals,the powder grainage vary alot looking through different manuals,does any of you find the same as me

Last edited:
Many of the test barrels are 24" long or more, that's how they get the results that they claim. Plus a little bit of exageration is good for sales.:-|

yeah exaggerated beyond belief,my mates tested several lots of factory ammo and they were up to 200 fps shy

Published data obtained by manufacturers is achieved under exacting lab conditions.
To duplicate the data, your test ammo. barrel and conditions would have to be identical in every respect.

Make your ammo to your own spec. using manual obtained data, test that & if it functions well in your rifle, is accurate and consistent - smile & be happy. :tiphat:

Last edited:
Hope this helps.

[h=2]Why does velocity differ from what’s listed on the ammo box?[/h] In order to comply with industry standards, Hornady publishes data for ammunition derived from testing utilizing SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute) specification test barrels. SAAMI specifies minimum and maximum chamber sizes, and also specifies certain barrel lengths for certain cartridges i.e. most rifle test barrels are 24 inches in length. Unfortunately, due to variables associated with individual firearm chambers and / or barrels, there may be variations in velocity from what is published by Hornady (either faster OR slower).

[h=2]What would the velocity of your ammunition if using a shorter barrel?[/h] Exact velocities cannot be calculated as there are generally variables associated with individual chambers and / or barrels that will affect velocity, but on average, velocity gains or losses will be approximately 25 – 35 fps per inch of barrel difference. This is an approximation, and will not hold true for every load or every gun. To truly measure performance, the load should be tested over a chronograph.

[h=2]Why does load data listed in other manufacturer’s loading manuals differ from others when loading the same cartridge?[/h] Several factors can cause this. The size of the specific firearm chamber and throat dimensions, seating depth, bullet profile, propellant variances andcrimping depth can all contribute to variations in load data. The data found in the Hornady loading manual represents actual results derived in the HornadyBallistics Laboratory. Hornady recommends that all reloaders ALWAYS start with the “starting load” and work up cautiously until you achieve the performance that you are looking for. NOTE: If pressure signs become evident, stop immediately and reduce the load or try another propellant.

ATB Barry

Here we go, manufacturers now exaggerate their published data as a sales pitch. :cuckoo:
Its the internet expert that reads all this guff then applies his personal interpretation.

Take the Viht thread for example.
"oh barrel burning blah blah blah.." Next publish a letter that the manufacturer supposedly sent... then spin and interpret in own way.

Reality, if one READS the letter the manufacturer does not attempt to quantify the effect (and admits this) of this cataclysmic burning effect. Amazingly enough no one complains of, say, Hodgdon's double base powders...

These threads really show a lack of understanding regarding powders rifles and reloading.
These 'forums' generally are the source of most myths out there. One must remember that the keen amateur does nothing to help safety and knowledge in these matters by repeating these somewhat dodgy interpretations.

How would one explain data from a country that is known to be so litigious can possibly be exaggerated in such a way that allow numbnut reloaders to attempt to chase mystical velocities?
Does one really believe that a powder manufacturer would put their neck on the block like this?
One basically allows the longarm grenade situation, is one sure that powder manufacturers want this situation?

Read manuals, attempt to learn a little about internal ballistics so we can get past all this really bad advise that floats around the 'net.

As to the OP did one read anywhere that the data on the box is the exact performance? Is one's rifle IDENTICAL to the test rifle?
Does one's test conditions, pressure, altitude, temperature match exactly the test conditions that the data was acquired from?
Does one own and use calibrated metrology?
Did one really read ones reloading manuals? Or was it the usual y chromosome skim through the reading bit - jump straight into the data?

If you cannot duplicate EXACTLY ALL THE TEST CONDITIONS, please read that again, EXACTLY ALL THE TEST CONDITIONS, you will never be able to duplicate the results.

Reloading is an absorbing part of shooting and should be treated with respect. Personally I do not give a hoot if one blows ones rifle up in ones face trying to achieve a velocity printed on a box / manual because one did not try and understand the process, consider it a thinning of the gene pool.

I am no expert and do not profess to be, my advise is LEARN and avoid internet keyboard experts who make it up as they go along!

I apologise if this comes over a little strong but promoting useless, in fact dangerous advise must be dealt with at every opportunity.

Hope this helps.

Why does velocity differ from what’s listed on the ammo box?

In order to comply with industry standards, Hornady publishes data for ammunition derived from testing utilizing SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute) specification test barrels. SAAMI specifies minimum and maximum chamber sizes, and also specifies certain barrel lengths for certain cartridges i.e. most rifle test barrels are 24 inches in length. Unfortunately, due to variables associated with individual firearm chambers and / or barrels, there may be variations in velocity from what is published by Hornady (either faster OR slower).

What would the velocity of your ammunition if using a shorter barrel?

Exact velocities cannot be calculated as there are generally variables associated with individual chambers and / or barrels that will affect velocity, but on average, velocity gains or losses will be approximately 25 – 35 fps per inch of barrel difference. This is an approximation, and will not hold true for every load or every gun. To truly measure performance, the load should be tested over a chronograph.

Why does load data listed in other manufacturer’s loading manuals differ from others when loading the same cartridge?

Several factors can cause this. The size of the specific firearm chamber and throat dimensions, seating depth, bullet profile, propellant variances andcrimping depth can all contribute to variations in load data. The data found in the Hornady loading manual represents actual results derived in the HornadyBallistics Laboratory. Hornady recommends that all reloaders ALWAYS start with the “starting load” and work up cautiously until you achieve the performance that you are looking for. NOTE: If pressure signs become evident, stop immediately and reduce the load or try another propellant.

ATB Barry

Exactly correct.~Muir

Here we go, manufacturers now exaggerate their published data as a sales pitch. :cuckoo:
Its the internet expert that reads all this guff then applies his personal interpretation.

Take the Viht thread for example.
"oh barrel burning blah blah blah.." Next publish a letter that the manufacturer supposedly sent... then spin and interpret in own way.

Reality, if one READS the letter the manufacturer does not attempt to quantify the effect (and admits this) of this cataclysmic burning effect. Amazingly enough no one complains of, say, Hodgdon's double base powders...

These threads really show a lack of understanding regarding powders rifles and reloading.
These 'forums' generally are the source of most myths out there. One must remember that the keen amateur does nothing to help safety and knowledge in these matters by repeating these somewhat dodgy interpretations.

How would one explain data from a country that is known to be so litigious can possibly be exaggerated in such a way that allow numbnut reloaders to attempt to chase mystical velocities?
Does one really believe that a powder manufacturer would put their neck on the block like this?
One basically allows the longarm grenade situation, is one sure that powder manufacturers want this situation?

Read manuals, attempt to learn a little about internal ballistics so we can get past all this really bad advise that floats around the 'net.

As to the OP did one read anywhere that the data on the box is the exact performance? Is one's rifle IDENTICAL to the test rifle?
Does one's test conditions, pressure, altitude, temperature match exactly the test conditions that the data was acquired from?
Does one own and use calibrated metrology?
Did one really read ones reloading manuals? Or was it the usual y chromosome skim through the reading bit - jump straight into the data?

If you cannot duplicate EXACTLY ALL THE TEST CONDITIONS, please read that again, EXACTLY ALL THE TEST CONDITIONS, you will never be able to duplicate the results.

Reloading is an absorbing part of shooting and should be treated with respect. Personally I do not give a hoot if one blows ones rifle up in ones face trying to achieve a velocity printed on a box / manual because one did not try and understand the process, consider it a thinning of the gene pool.

I am no expert and do not profess to be, my advise is LEARN and avoid internet keyboard experts who make it up as they go along!

I apologise if this comes over a little strong but promoting useless, in fact dangerous advise must be dealt with at every opportunity.

Are you OK?
I don't think anyone has said anything above that warrants your histrionics.

One is suitably educated, by one's oneness, with the lack of other one's knowledge. Now going to be at one with one's self, due to being finished with brass prep, & one's slippers & port being to hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks joe for the numbnut remark,i do know what i am doing and i am cautious aswell,that was an experiment i tried and wont bother again,i am an accuracy hunter normally

It can go both ways - I worked up to an accurate book load in my Blaser R93 in 308Win only to find that it was launching the 150 grain bullet at 3000fps with no pressure signs. I have some cases that have been reloaded lots of times with this load so there is no long term shortening of brass life either. The Blaser has a fairly short barrel.

Maybe it is also a marketing thing as 308Win has never been sold as having amazing velocity so there is no need to inflate the figures whereas this might be the case with cartridges that are more marketing than performance.

Never quite understood why some reloaders are so preoccupied with obtaining 'max' velocities. I have 4 centre fires and I could not care a toss about velocities - I use the chronograph purely to see pfs spread. All my rifles shoot >.5 moa. Nothing shoots flat anyway and amazingly I still have enough energy to be able to turn the elevation turret up a couple more clicks to compensate for my 'low' velocity reloading attempts. For me its all about accuracy.

Peter

Never quite understood why some reloaders are so preoccupied with obtaining 'max' velocities. I have 4 centre fires and I could not care a toss about velocities - I use the chronograph purely to see pfs spread. All my rifles shoot >.5 moa. Nothing shoots flat anyway and amazingly I still have enough energy to be able to turn the elevation turret up a couple more clicks to compensate for my 'low' velocity reloading attempts. For me its all about accuracy.

Peter

When you are on the cusp of legality e.g. .243/100gr & Scotland, it's important to ensure you're getting enough pace out of your load.

The second element is that you are acheiving the performance that your catridge is supposed to deliver and know the limitations of what you are shooting. Not giving a toss about velocity is perhaps a little flippant?

Last edited:
When you are on the cusp of legality e.g. .243/100gr & Scotland, it's important to ensure you're getting enough pace out of your load.

The second element is that you are acheiving the performance that your catridge is supposed to deliver and know the limitations of what you are shooting. Not giving a toss about velocity is perhaps a little flippant?

My deer calibre is 6.5 - therefore not an issue at 2660 fps

My other calibres (17 rem, 20 tac and 22.250) are foxing tools - like I said - I dont give a toss about velocity - a personal point of view

ive tried speer 87gr tnt's in the past and speer data has max load which was still more than i loaded them 85gr nos past the max load in nosler manual with the same powder,like i said in my 2nd thread it was an experiment and i am a ultimate accuracy loader,ive got them 85gr nos clover leafing at 200yds and my 30-06 shooting 5 shot sub inch groups at 300yds,in fact i put 4 shots in 0.640 of an inch and let one go which made the group 0.964

Back