Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moderator for .270

Moderator for .270

Can some of you point me in the right direction. I want a moderator for a PH .270 with a 24 inch barrel. I thought I wanted a T8 but have heard a Wildcat is the same size but lighter.
    So is being lighter an advantage or is having a heavier muzzle an advantage.
    Is the Wildcat any less robust. Is one quieter than the other.
    What are your experiences.
    Thanks Tom

I have both a T8 and a wildcat. The T8 is both lighter and quieter than the wildcat. Facts born out in a Sporting Rifle article a couple of months ago. However the wildcat strips down for cleaning and they selll spares so it should last longer. T8s tend to rot where they are welded.
    Hope it helps and happy hunting.

rot only if you are lazy and dont look after it!!!
    i know of forestry rangers who have had t8's for years now with no bother. and they shoot alot!!!!
    the more carbon build up inside the better they perform, just a squirt of wd40 after each outing and they are fine!!!

i have two T8s, what i tend to do is after use put them on a hot radiator get them nice and warm or even hot, they dry out perfect. Then a bit of WD40 inside. When not in use i do not leave them on the rifle. I wrap them in an oily rag. I have had them about 6 years and they still look in very good condition.

I have a ATEC on my tikka 270 very quiet and you can strip it down to kleen, it had a good right up in the sporting rifle!!! but my mate uses the t8 its horses for courses

Can't comment on the T8 as I have not used one but have seen a burst one at a gunshop which was enough to put me off although I have friends who have used them successfully for a few years. I have just fitted a Wildcat on my .243 and whilst it has made the rifle muzzle heavy I am happy with the reduced sound and recoil. The rifle also shot slightly tighter groups after re zeroing it.

thanks for the help everyone, you all have a great New Year

Have you thought about the ASE JET Z compact. Myself and my mate have them. Very good build quality and QUIET.
    My mate had a T8 but it blew out onto the barrel, yes he did oil it after every trip.

I have a T8 on my tika .270 and its totally transformed the rifle , can shoot all day now with no harsh recoil or anything, also better if you can put a neoprene sock over the moderator, stops them being tinnier sounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Amberdog
    I have a ATEC on my tikka 270 very quiet and you can strip it down to kleen, it had a good right up in the sporting rifle!!! but my mate uses the t8 its horses for courses

I also have a A-Tec on my 270, I also have a T8 as well, the A-tec is far better engineered and much lighter than the T8 or Wildcat. The Wildcat is calibre sensitive by reports in the shooting press. I am not sure they do a specific 270 one so you might find yourself with a 30 cal one.

Spend a little extra money and buy once is my advice. My money went on a A-Tec.

Best rgds