Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lumpy liver

lumpy liver

Hi, any vets on tonight, or indeed anyone who can tell me what's wrong with a roe deer to have a liver like this

I didn't shoot this beast, the question was asked me by a friend who was given a deer, so I don't know anymore about the animal, either while it was alive or about other organs, condition etc. If any more info is essential for a diagnosis I'll try to get as much as I can, but I'm in Cyprus and he's in the SW of england so it ain't easy!

lumpy liver

Hi all, first visit back for ages as I'm in the barren (stalking wise) wastes of Cyprus, but I've just put a thread in the diseases & welfare section about a lumpy liver on a roe deer.

I realise that section is less visited than others so I've bumped it here, mainly because my friend who has the deer wants to know if he can eat the beast.

Neuroblastima?? (Cancer of the liver.)
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

lumpy liver is mostly to be liver fluke. Fluke is a parasite. I wouldnt recommend eating the liver. If it is just fluke then it should be reason enough to condem the carcass.

Should or shouldn't?
    I thought liver fluke (which I agree with btw unless it was George Best's Liver) would make you ditch the liver and note it on the carcass tag but not condemn the carcass..
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I would check the glands on the liver and then the rest if i found an abnormality and if the glands were ok and the deer was showing no others signs of illness fine like rem said bin the liver and enjoy .

Would liver fluke turn it blue as in the picture?
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Have you got photos of the spleen as well if possible?

Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

From the picture it's not certain what's wrong, but 100% not fluke.

Any more pictures, esp the underside? Looks a bit spleen like.........

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

This is a very difficult one for sure, thinking the answer and knowing the facts are two very different things never seen anything like it personally ,hopefully someone will come with a definitive answer and we will all learn some, how does the rest of the intestines look lymph nodes and the like ?