Coat choice

bk

Howdo,
Ive been offered a few jackets. One is a Musto Westmoor and an Arktis smock. The Arktis is three times the price of the Musto though.
Which would you guys recommend?

hi i have no experiance of the artkis but have had a couple of musto,s and i dont think they are worth the money,

I have a Musto Westmoor, it's more of an about town or poncing about with shotguns jacket than a proper stalking coat. i.e. wouldn't cope with mud or even look at barbwire without tearing.

No experience of Arktis.

I have a Musto Westmoor, it's more of an about town or poncing about with shotguns jacket than a proper stalking coat. i.e. wouldn't cope with mud or even look at barbwire without tearing.

No experience of Arktis.

Great thanks. Thats what I was thinking, and thanks for confirming

ive got the smock and like it a lot. i wear a swazi fleece underneath in really wet weather. wouldnt buy any other coat now.
atb steve

maybe watching your friend there has fried my brain, but if the Musto is £150ish and you're looking at something 3 times the price, then I would just get a Harkila Prohunter and pocket the difference.

A lot of the Arktis and Country Covers type stuff is based on the military Windproof smock. You can buy the mil surplus ones new off ebay for less than £20, sometimes less than £10 if you watch carefully. If you are really worried about being waterproof then Country Covers or Arktis sell a waterproof liner for about £50 and if you wash them in nikwax wash in waterproofing for cotton they are pretty waterproof anyhow. Saves enough cash to pay for a few days stalking or a good part of a syndicate membership.

Cheers. Tbh if it's raining that hard I'm not going to be out, just I've been stuck in a few showers recently and it's been a little chilly, especially when it's sleeting.

You wont go to far wrong with arktis IMHO, good hard wearing gear.
Maybe a little bit pricey but you pays your money and takes your pick.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

hope the coat isnt for the lady on your profile page? always cheers me up, where abouts in high peak are you im in buxton

you quite close then use calton moore regulary so might get to meet sometime as i am doing my dsc1 course in march with mike,

Fingers crossed for elastic snapping in the new year

Have you considered Jahti Jakt?
£250 gets the whole suit, under layers, fleece, gloves and hat.
I got one fairly recently and will be giving it trial by Scotland-February-on-the-hill soon.

Also have a seeland coat which performed very well over the last few years.

Back