which stalking boots to buy

DSCN1944.jpg
IMG]G]

Amber243

I have not long got some Meindl Dovre to replace my previous Meindl boots great comfortable boot though possibly a bit high for some.
Shop around as I found them £25 cheaper just checking out a couple of suppliers on internet.

Happy New Year All

Dickie

My lovely wife bought me some Lowa Hunter GTX Boots, I have been out with them twice now, cracking boots, very warm and comfortable, even in the hour I was in a High seat for yesterday at -3 my toes were not cold.

Pay for what you get I suppose, I hope these will last me 3-4 years though.

TJ

Hello i use brasher hill master gtx boots for on the hills and wood lands stalks they are excellent boots i do recommend these. If you do go ( sports world or soccer sports ) you can get a pair for about £90 they are £30 cheaper than any were else. they are 100% comfy, dry, warm and will lst for about three years.

Boots

I use UK army pro boots - they are lovely soft leather, gortex and thermalite lined - and the soles are very quiet when walking.

In the shops they cost about £60 - £70 (ive even seen them advertised for £100) but you can get them brand new on eblag from ex soldiers for £25.

I got a pair of these and a pair of the normal combat boots for £35 off one fella and they've last a couple of years so far.

They are very underated in my opinion, ive had hillmasters and various hiking brands and the pro boots are easily as good quality but require less breaking in and are quieter in use.

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/...boots/british-army-breathable-pro-399698.html

Daemon

Hello
Assault boots,goretex liners,insoles and thick socks for me.If I had money I'd buy a new pair of proboots,and keep the socks.
MARK

Re: Boots

Daemo said:
I use UK army pro boots - they are lovely soft leather, gortex and thermalite lined - and the soles are very quiet when walking.

In the shops they cost about £60 - £70 (ive even seen them advertised for £100) but you can get them brand new on eblag from ex soldiers for £25.

I got a pair of these and a pair of the normal combat boots for £35 off one fella and they've last a couple of years so far.

They are very underated in my opinion, ive had hillmasters and various hiking brands and the pro boots are easily as good quality but require less breaking in and are quieter in use.

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/...boots/british-army-breathable-pro-399698.html

Daemon

Not bad boots materhone copy; the new pro boot is a copy of the lowa and is even better.

Dave

If you will be stalking on the Scottish mountains get yourself a good pair of mountain boots - 3 / 4 season boots - with plenty of ancle support. I have a pair of Scarpa Manta's which in my view are brilliant and very sure footed even if icy conditions. Meindle's are also good.

Deako said:
I'm about 3 months into a pair of these:

http://www.decoying.co.uk/?page=show-item&item=645

Vey comfy but very expensive for what they are, just got so fed up with lacing/un-lacing all the time...these are so much faster! :)

may be a coincidence but there was a user on pigeonwatch called deako that owned or still ownes decoying.co.uk. they may be good boots, this may as i say be coincedental, but i do go on forums to get advice from fellow hunters, unbiased without any vested interest. sorry if i am off the mark but my first thought is that its someone trying to punt their goods. for what its worth i use a set of bestard explorer, they seem to be good and durable but are lasted a little small. i got a 9 (all my other shoes are 9) they are a little tight and i suspect the 10 would be better.

regards

pete

You don't say whether you are a woodland stalker or an open hill stalker. If for the open hill, choose boots with as few pieces of leather as possible, avoid fabric boots at all costs. A membrane is a good idea but not essential in the right boots. I was a Scarpa SLX wearer and never had a wet foot in the days before Goretex.

Make the sure the sole is good and stiff, if the sole isn't rigid, when you stand on a narrow piece of rock you can easily turn an ankle.

Make sure you try them on in the afternoon, our feet swell as we go through the day. Make sure you don't get any heel lift when you flex, a sure way to blisters. Most good boot shops should have a slope for you to try them on.

Good brands: Meindl, Lowa, Hanwags, Scarpa

Totally agree with Frax, one piece of leather = more expensive but more importantly = dry feet and dry feet for a long time.

My view on Goretex boots is they are fine until the goretex lining wears which takes about 5 weekends use.

My Scarpa Manta's are 4 season so very stiff with lots of ankle support. I put comformable insoles into them right from the start so have always been comfortable. And I wear them most weekends in the hills walking, paragliding, fishing and occasionally stalking.

Mine are now 10 years old, cost me £150, and have just had them retreaded by Tiso's for the cost of £40. Should be good for another few years - so not really that expensive.

But for lowland use they are a bit on the stiff / clunky side. I either wear wellies, or a pair of walking shoes - effectively brown trainers.

Some of the high legged shooting boots look really good and comfortable for lowland use, but am not sure if they would really be much use on Scottish mountains.

My view on Goretex boots is they are fine until the goretex lining wears which takes about 5 weekends use.

Have to agree with you there. Problem is the Goretex is in the form of a loose bootee which is free to move and therefore abrade.

I'd forgetten about Gronell Hunter boots. I ran a pair for a about 4 years and found them great. The membrane isn't a bootee but is bonded onto the inside of the leather. A much better idea. Still use them for although they are almost worn out. Made on a good hill last and designed for wider feet.

Boots

Hi

My proboots have a gortex liner, sewn in between the leather and the thermal lining - after 2 years its not worn out yet.

Daemon

:D

Back