Wild boar

The reason i asked Dave was that i just read another thread and it was mentioned that a cal suitable for all deer is suitable for boar

Some forces regard boar as vermin but others don't so if your force is touchy you would need to be conditioned specifically for boar and probably with a nominated rifle. In Dumfries and Galloway though, boar are considered vermin but if required a letter would be given to a certificate holder if needed to shoot in other parts of the country where boar are 'conditioned'. Being vermin, locally you can hunt them with your deer rifle for large deer but .270 is advised.

Yes Star i am under the dreaded A and S so it seems like i need to get a larger cal rifle and another long wait to get my fac back as varitions seem to take for ever at A and S

northants wouldnt put boar on for 308 unless i had an invite or location with boar and written permission

The majority of police forces would require the rifle to be specifically conditioned for boar to comply with HO Guidance and some will not do that unless you have a specific booking/invitation to shoot on ground where boar are present, even where you are not acquiring a new rifle. Before my local force got sensible they gave me an extra ammo allowance so that I could have some heavier loads but refused to add the words "wild boar" to my existing .270 conditions unless I had an invite to shoot boar on ground cleared by the local police for boar and .270 plus a letter from the landowner - fortunately things have changed and a booking for boar is all that's required now.

Normally needs to be a condition on your certificate and as previously mentioned .270 minimum best practice

There isn't a legal minimum calibre, it is only advised that .270 is the minimum. You would need either to have it conditioned or "any other legal quarry".

If you had a .223 with "any other legal quarry" you could shoot boar with it, not adivisable, but you wouldn't be breaking the law.

I've never shot boar, but from what i hear most people tend to go "large" on calibre, with a .30 cal or greater generally preferred.

Back