sound moderator opinions please

varmint223

Hi All ,

Would anyone care to offer their opinions on the quietest sound moderators for a .223 or a .243 cal

Any info would be great

Thanks
Tommy

I have used a T8, DM80 and P8 on my .223.

They all sound about the same.

The T8 was the heaviest and is not calibre specific for the .223.

The P8 and DM80 are calibre specific (the P8 has different baffel inserts) and are both easy to strip and clean.

You can buy spare/replacement baffles for the P8 and if you speak to Dave Mercer he may sell you replacement parts for the DM80, although as mine has done over 2000 rounds and is still going strong I doubt you will need them.

The DM80 was the cheapest and I would recommend it.

+1 for Daves comment. I have a T8 with a neoprene cover and its brilliant. The trick is to look after it.

Atec mods do a great job and no weight to them i would never go anywhere near a T8 far to heavy for no benefit !

I have an ASE Northstar for my 22/250. Fantastic, but much to heavy. ASE Jet Z seems to be best unless you go for an ultra light Roedale or the like.

like c d i have a heavy ase northstar and 2 T8s the T8 seem slightly quieter but need more maintainance .

Thanks lads , i will search for info on the one i haven't tried or heard out of the one you mention...........have a great new year everyone :thumb:

I love most things about my Ase S5. Its on a working rifle and is as near bomb proof as a moderator could be. BUT, it is a weighty lump.

As with most things, it comes down to what you need for your particular circumstances. Maybe ultra quiet, maybe something light - or any point of balance between the two!

Like most RFDs we deal with Jackson rifles and have to say that the SL5 comes heavily recommended by them - and the specs look good. However, feedback from course guys/ clients and trade is glowing about the ATEC Maxim - which is I think the over barrel unit referred to above.

Relatively light, but with main gripe about burn out addressed by having steel internals. I had one for testing and liked it.

Stuff comes and goes on stock front and depends what we have used/ for test etc ( cant do with new ), but if you are in our direction then maybe able to sort out a try before buy.

I've had the ASE Northstar and the ASE Jet Z on my .223.
Soundwise there isn't much in it, the Jet Z is less a tin of beans than the Northstar but is a tin of beans nonetheless.

The Atec CMM4 Alu on my .260 is also pretty good. It is very light compared to the Northstar and doesn't mess with balance, but it won't last as long.

i initially had a third eye spartan reflex on my .223, the design and bulid were superb, this was my first c/f mod so didnt have much to gauge it against. I can be a bit anal at times and because it was strippable i tended to do just that after each outing and clean it, too much if i am being honest. i sold the gun and mod and bought a new set up and wanted a muzzle mounted ( non-strippable) mod, settled on the ASE Utra Cqb , if being honest doesnt look as good as the thirdeye but its a very good piece of kit , a better sound reduction( to my ears) and after use a squirt of wd40 and left to dry , perfect

craig

I second that, owned and used Jet-Z CQB for 5 years now, nothing comes close for sound sound reduction/compact package, yes I have a T4 & T8 (twang) Third Eye Tactical (Nice but Noisey) and another Jet-Z on my 7mm WSM

Flyboy270

i initially had a third eye spartan reflex on my .223, the design and bulid were superb, this was my first c/f mod so didnt have much to gauge it against. I can be a bit anal at times and because it was strippable i tended to do just that after each outing and clean it, too much if i am being honest. i sold the gun and mod and bought a new set up and wanted a muzzle mounted ( non-strippable) mod, settled on the ASE Utra Cqb , if being honest doesnt look as good as the thirdeye but its a very good piece of kit , a better sound reduction( to my ears) and after use a squirt of wd40 and left to dry , perfect

craig

I have a third eye tactical, they are now offered in more calibres and the baffle stacks have been changes to make them work better.

Rick

same as flyboy i really like the ase mods also. i have a ase cqb on my 22/250 the same again on the 17 fireball and a ase compact on the 270.

dont over look the dm80 though. my friend has one on a 204 and its as good as the ase for noise. build is good also. and the price is half of a ase.

only reason i prefer the ase is i am not keen on over barrel mods.

I love most things about my Ase S5. Its on a working rifle and is as near bomb proof as a moderator could be. BUT, it is a weighty lump.

As with most things, it comes down to what you need for your particular circumstances. Maybe ultra quiet, maybe something light - or any point of balance between the two!

Like most RFDs we deal with Jackson rifles and have to say that the SL5 comes heavily recommended by them - and the specs look good. However, feedback from course guys/ clients and trade is glowing about the ATEC Maxim - which is I think the over barrel unit referred to above.

Relatively light, but with main gripe about burn out addressed by having steel internals. I had one for testing and liked it.

Stuff comes and goes on stock front and depends what we have used/ for test etc ( cant do with new ), but if you are in our direction then maybe able to sort out a try before buy.

Thanks for the info in that reply and also the try before you buy .....very kind of you to offer that

Guys thanks VERY much for this info on sound mods ..........this will help me make the decision a lot easier

Atb
Tommy

I have an Atec Maxim 4 on my Tikka T3 hunter in .243.

I love it - it's barely bigger than the SAK on my rimfire and the weight is significantly less of a burden than the bipod at about 300grams I believe. It is comparible to the T8 on noise levels.

I'm very pleased that is the one I went for and the price was not much more than the T8.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

Last edited:
Back