Harley (Lab) Sookie (Irish Water Spaniel)

neil_r

A couple of New Years Eve pics of my dogs. Harley, the lab is two years old and works well picking up, Sookie is an Irish Water Spaniel and is coming up to 18 months old, she is showing great promise and this year I am going to start her on Deer.

dogs_nyd_2011__NHR4057.jpg

dogs_nyd_2011__NHR4069.jpg

dogs_nyd_2011__NHR4081.jpg

dogs_nyd_2011__NHR4087.jpg

There are a few more HERE

18 months and you are going to start her on deer,bloody hell thats like trying to teach a kid to read at 10 years imo.

18 months and you are going to start her on deer,bloody hell thats like trying to teach a kid to read at 10 years imo.

I am not sure i understand your post?

Are you saying it's to early or to late?

IWS are really slow developing dogs and take some time to steady and settle. I have been breeding and training very successful dogs for many years, each work at their own pace and the best person to judge that is the person training the dog.

Neil without going into my own dog history of breaking dogs into game of all sorts I believe that @ 18 months one is behind by a long time as imo those first months are the times when to introduce the pup to portions of what it will encounter in its life as a working dog.
Things like water whether flowing creek or still dam,dead animals,live animals,distractions,noises both constant and sudden,gunfire,people/strangers,riding in and on vehicles,other dogs whether mellow or aggressive and the list go`s on and on all these besides mandatory sit stay shut up etc!

Ah thats sounds better neil.

I do believe in giving them all they can have from quail to sambar and take them into the paddock as soon as they can follow the bitch from the kennel..never too young for me.
I break mine very early and also place them in a box on the quad and take them into a new environment everyday from 5 weeks,just for smells,noises and sights (they dont see well though haha) and also break into fording a creek etc by picking a shallow part 1/2 up their sides and only 3-4 feet wide...the sooks wail and the bold ones charge through regardless..eventually they will all cross of course as the bitch is a big lure.

Ah thats sounds better neil.

I do believe in giving them all they can have from quail to sambar and take them into the paddock as soon as they can follow the bitch from the kennel..never too young for me.
I break mine very early and also place them in a box on the quad and take them into a new environment everyday from 5 weeks,just for smells,noises and sights (they dont see well though haha) and also break into fording a creek etc by picking a shallow part 1/2 up their sides and only 3-4 feet wide...the sooks wail and the bold ones charge through regardless..eventually they will all cross of course as the bitch is a big lure.

Trust me Water is not an issue for her, (that is ice in the first one )

Cov_Canal_Jan_2011_NHR5055.jpg

Dogs_Bosworth_March_11_MG_9241.jpg

Coventry_Canal_October_2010_MG_8693.jpg

Back