Electric collars

mullbiker

I'm not looking to start a discussion or argument nor do I intend to justify my reasons for asking. I require an electric collar and would seek recomendations as to which brand/model users of same use or would recommend .

Dogtra.
I have got an english bull terrier who was as stubborn as a mule. I bought a dogtra and tried it on my leg before I used it on my dog so I knew what the level of discomfort was. I then used it on him to stop him pulling on his lead. Within a few minutes he was noticably better.
He was walking to heel within an hour and he now runs free and returns to me on voice commands.
I still put the collar on him occasionally but never need to use it.

Dogtra.
I have got an english bull terrier who was as stubborn as a mule. I bought a dogtra and tried it on my leg before I used it on my dog so I knew what the level of discomfort was. I then used it on him to stop him pulling on his lead. Within a few minutes he was noticably better.
He was walking to heel within an hour and he now runs free and returns to me on voice commands.
I still put the collar on him occasionally but never need to use it.

You should have put it round your neck and gave the wife the remote ,the people that use such draconian measures shouldn't own any animals .
I've been training dogs for years that's mainly springers that other people say there un trainable there's no dog untrainable given time ,
The problem with dog owners they want it at the drop of a hat just doesn't happen .

I've recently helped out a woman who has golden retrievers that she would like to be far more biddable as show dog and stud dogs the were a handful which drove her to distraction .she asked me for some pointers I helped her every day for a month now she is in charge of the dogs not the other way about .

It isn't hard it only takes time which as everyone knows to own a dog you must have .

You should have put it round your neck and gave the wife the remote ,the people that use such draconian measures shouldn't own any animals .
I've been training dogs for years that's mainly springers that other people say there un trainable there's no dog untrainable given time ,
The problem with dog owners they want it at the drop of a hat just doesn't happen .

I've recently helped out a woman who has golden retrievers that she would like to be far more biddable as show dog and stud dogs the were a handful which drove her to distraction .she asked me for some pointers I helped her every day for a month now she is in charge of the dogs not the other way about .

It isn't hard it only takes time which as everyone knows to own a dog you must have .
+1

+2

A wonderful device,don't let the naysayers dissuade you mate.
My three I have now were all introduced to a corrective collar and that is after a lifetime of breeding bush hunting dogs without one...fantastic to use (not abuse) as an aid.

I'm not saying i'm a great lover of electric collars, but I prefer the dog to be given a small zap other than a good thrashing............
I hate to see dogs being kicked and slapped about on the shooting field. No need !!!

Last edited:
About 15 years ago i had to go into hospital for a fair time, i had to distribute my dogs a mixture of lab's / springers i used for picking up around various mates for the unforseeable future.
One of these was a springer pup meg, to cut a long story short i was ill for a long time.
When i was fit enough to have the dogs back the pup who had been on a farm was wild, it had been allowed to chase rabbits everyday and do its own thing so seemingly a lost cause.

I dont proffess to be a super field trial trainer but have produced a few half decent dogs so i set about this lost cause, i ended up pulling my hair out so last resort before the dog was detined for a pet i borrowed an electric collar.

I only used the unit for a week then the dummy collar for a fortnight and it worked !, it maybe a bit brutish i agree but this transformed the bitch and she turned out to be the best springer i have ever owned.

Never used one since wouldn't want to shouldnt need to but as a last resort i would, in some circumstances as above they have thier place. DF

Last edited:
My jack russel was desperate to kill my peacocks, tried everything, borrowed a collar and used it for one day, now she ignores them unless they come in the garden, only zapped her twice. You have to use them with care and they are open to abuse as they need to be used with normal training methods

Plenty on the market fella so have a good look around.Top device if used correctly and sparringly and only for problems you cant rectify any other way.

This may not prove helpful as can't find the box to get the name of it!

Got a collar off the internet last year - was something like £25; so clearly not premium kit. However, it worked brilliantly.

Had same issue with Peacock chasing at a new property we moved to.

Key for us was that the collar unit had three settings - shock, buzz/vibrate and beep - each with a large range of levels - all controlled from the remote.

Only ever used the shock on myself and wayward step son. The vibrate worked extremely well and the beep was a good attention grabber. It only took two or three well timed 'zaps' to get the message in. I think it was the ability to deliver the 'zap' at exactly the right moment that made it so effective, not needed it since.

However retaining as step son now 14 and anticipate considerable use of shock setting at maximum in the coming years ( he's a much slower learner than the dogs ) ;)

I did a review of the inotek track n train a few years ago. Very good bit of kit! You could programme it to bleep or alarm if the dog comes on point or to bleak at set intervals if tracking. You could also have a call feature like a locater to let you know where the dog is.

With all ectronic collars it's about timing, very good bit of kit but you must use it sensibly. Normaly vibrate or beep is enough to get the dogs attention.

Excellent for braking livestock problems!

The Electric collar works well and can stop a dog doing something it shouldn't WS is old hat and i am afraid will be his undoing you need to move with the times . I am sure some of the chaps i guide could do with a elec collar on could stop them going to fast lol

I'm not looking to start a discussion or argument nor do I intend to justify my reasons for asking. I require an eIlectric collar and would seek recomendations as to which brand/model users of same use or would recommend .[/QUOTE I WOULD SAVE MY MONEY AS THEY WILL BE OUTLAWED IN SCOTLAND THIS YEAR ,as was in wales early last year,where ones have been prosecuted since, i had a pal who used the device, and like most owners used it too control the dog rather than train,but he simply didnt want put the effort/time into training his dog properly, my own dogs over the years, GWP and GSP once fully trained , worked for me because they enjoyed it NOT through fear off been shocked/or anticipation off it, IMO people see it as a short cut /a quick fix, also any dog ive seen with one has had sores/scabs on skin,where the shock is given .which would give rise too infection.it aint the dogs that need educating its the owners

also any dog ive seen with one has had sores/scabs on skin,where the shock is given

If the dogs end up with scabs on their necks it is because some d**k head has left the collar on for too long. They should not be on for more than 12 hours at a time.

I have used them for years now, I have used them on several different breeds. As soon as I start training I use a collar.
You may find they help stop bad habits developing. It is just the same as having the dog on a lead, but that lead can be a very long one.

Ie you take your young gun dog out for a run it puts a hare up and off it goes. Well not if you have got an e-collar on.

The Electric collar works well and can stop a dog doing something it shouldn't WS is old hat and i am afraid will be his undoing you need to move with the times . I am sure some of the chaps i guide could do with a elec collar on could stop them going to fast lol

Not old hat just know my dogs ,and how to train them it takes time to train a dog any dog it is not a over night thing as many seem to thing it is a one on one thing I've had plenty ftch and ftw in my kennels without any electric shock treatment or shouting to odds at the dog ,or beating it brains in .

It all comes down to repetitive work a patients every day ,it works .

If the dogs end up with scabs on their necks it is because some d**k head has left the collar on for too long. They should not be on for more than 12 hours at a time.

I have used them for years now, I have used them on several different breeds. As soon as I start training I use a collar.
You may find they help stop bad habits developing. It is just the same as having the dog on a lead, but that lead can be a very long one.

Ie you take your young gun dog out for a run it puts a hare up and off it goes. Well not if you have got an e-collar on.
WELL at least youve proved my point about not putting time/effort in,:rolleyes:

Back