Hello.

I'd like to say hello to all on this forum, my name's Michael, I'm forty eight, a livestock farmer living and working in the heart of the Peak District, Derbyshire.

I've always had an interest in wildlife and conservation, done some game shooting as well as a fair bit of vermin/fox control using RF & CF calibres.

No experiance in stalking, travelled up to some remote(ish) parts of Scotland quite a few times, love the place, always found it extremely difficult to even see deer in the far off distance !, certainly made me appreciate some of the difficulties involved in deer management. The knowledge, craft, skill and application needed to stalk deer is proberbly beyond me, still I hope to learn a little from other members on this fine site and hopefully contribute in some small way.

Wishing all a happy and prosperous new year !.

Mick

Hellow and welcom to the site mick . very good crowd on hear and very helpfull .what livestock are you farming .Im a slaughterman from wigan...if you have any casulaty cattle i can get you a good price for them mate . all the best and a happy new year ....Neil

Mick

If you can farm livestock, I assure you stalking will not prove insurmountable!

Though slightly worried that a Derbyshire farmer can write that coherently at 7 minutes past midnight New Years Eve!:D And that spoken through many years in and around Glossop, Buxton and the centre of the cement mixer universe - Sheen.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the warm welcome Neil, John & OT...:D

what livestock are you farming .Im a slaughterman from wigan...if you have any casulaty cattle i can get you a good price for them mate . all the best and a happy new year ....Neil

Neil..I'm now mainly breeding and fattening cattle..though as I'm improving boundries am starting keeping more and more sheep..that's where the profit seems to be at the moment..thanks for the very kind offer of help with casulties, OK at the mo but will bear you in mind if the need arises.

Though slightly worried that a Derbyshire farmer can write that coherently at 7 minutes past midnight New Years Eve!:D And that spoken through many years in and around Glossop, Buxton and the centre of the cement mixer universe - Sheen.

:D ..

Mick

Hi Mick welcome to SD

Spent New Year 30 mins from you down near Ilam, Dovedale at the Issac Walton hotel if I'd seen your post then we could have met up for a beer & a chat.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for the warm welcome guys !...

True story...Jobbing up one morning before Christmas, ..when we last had a covering of snow, I trekked across the yard hands in pockets looking for bird, rabbit and fox tracks. One shed has an open door and just inside is the spout of a 15 tonne feed bin..a little feed on the floor...no tracks, nothing !. Shaking my head, muggings here walks away..and glancing back I noticed half a dozen pheasants sat above the door looking smug.....just shows how observant I am..and why wildlife seems to be in abundance hereabouts :D

Chris if you're ever up in my local area please..give me a shout...I know Dovedale fairly well.. really good 'rough' country....

Mick

Welcome to the site Mick,

I spent a lot of my childhood around Manifold Valley, Dovedale, Tideswell , do they still do the well dressing there?

ATB

Tahr

Welcome to the site Mick,

I spent a lot of my childhood around Manifold Valley, Dovedale, Tideswell , do they still do the well dressing there?

ATB

Tahr

Thanks for the warm welcome Thar.

Yes 'wakes week' is one of the highlights of the year for Tidzer folk...sad I know :D..usually takes place at the end of June.

Mick

Back