Moray Outfitting Stalk

Just to say very many thanks to Andy & John (MorayOutfitting) for a great days stalking yesterday.
Due to lack of beasts on the estate I was staying and the weather/windblow on another I recalled the ‘Moray Forestry stags’ post on SD and gave John about 2 days’ notice but he came straight back to me and was able to organise a day accompanied by Andy just up the road from where I was staying on Dallas Moor Forest.
We bumped a roe on the way in but after only about an hour’sstalking managed to crawl in to a herd of 8 reds (hinds and staggies) on the edge of a clear fell where I took a hind in the chest at 120 yards. The shot sounded good and I saw the strike, after a couple of steps she went down, the rest of the herd weren’t stopping unfortunately. We stalked all day and, as well as the roe saw a red stag crossing a ride at 100 yards. The wind was very fickle and from the very fresh crotties I think we were a step behind many more deer.
Although commercial forestry the ground has lots of open areas (both clear fell, deer lawns and open heather areas along the burns) and terrific views. Stalking reds in upland forestry is a nice change for me. Andy is great company and a very knowledgeable guide.
At £150 a day (dawn till dusk) with no limit on numbers and no charge for witnessing they also represent excellent value.View attachment 11586

Thanks again John and Andy and all the best for 2012.
NickView attachment 11587
My set up was a Sako Forester in .308 with a S&B 6x42scope, PES mod and 150 grain Remington rounds.

Last edited:
At risk of sounding like it was a 'love -in', must say that Nick is one of the good'uns. A pleasure to be with
and welcome here anytime.

If only we hadn't had to keep stopping to take pictures of the views....:cool:

nice write up thanks for sharing,
nice website moray outfitting as well

Last edited:
Spoony

Thank you for the compliment. Stalking School website looks good - all down to our Gary. Unfortunately, it involves some quite convoluted software to manage it and so tends to be a bit static - but we are working on that. Current plan is just to kick Gary harder...

The Forest & Hill site is a off shelf commercial package - much easier and swifter to operate, but doesn't have the same visual impact. Current plan... you guessed it!:evil:

Sorry, correct that; a PES Mod, it must have been wishful thinking as I wish I'd bought a Jet Z! Am still searching for the camera lead to upload the photos sorry!

Great write up Nick

If there stalking is as good as their internet service from forest and hill you won't go wrong I think.

I ordered a Mora knife late Monday night it arrived today in the post. Great service guys.

Cheers

Jonathon

Back