shooting test DSC1

Deanandrew64

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me about the dsc1 shooting test, is it true that only factory grade ammunition is allowed? i am going to use my t3 varmint in .243, can anyone recommend a good factory load

Many thanks

Dean

thanks for that, will have to buy some factory ammo see what works best, have they got to be 100 gr soft points?

I remember I used a battered old rifle from behind the seat of a Subaru, it's owner well known & respected in the deer stalking world, all the ammunition on site, including the other training personnel's stocks, were home loads.

i dont think the ammo used was ever mentioned on our one...i borrowed a rifle/ammo anyway so perhaps wouldnt have had to ask.

atb

thanks for that. i have registered with there online courses after getting there cd-rom training disc for xmas, they look a class outfit, done ten tests so far online and got over 95% every time so far, good look with your dcs1

Check with your assessment centre for minimum bullet weight, ME & MV, I was told no home loads and that the ammunition had to be deer legal for England. I used federal 95grn ballistic tips in .243 and got a group of around 0.5 inch on the zero target. you really need to try some different makes of ammunition and if you have a 1:10 twist rate in your .243 barrel you will probably get your tightest groups with 90-95grn bullets.
The thing I found most useful however was to practice a few minutes dry firing each day to develop comfortable shooting positions and to eliminate as much movement as possible when pulling the trigger.
Also, apart from checking your zero beforehand double check that your barrel, mounts & scope are really secure atb Tim:cool:

Tim is right. Guidance from DMQ is no home loads and any ammunition used must be deer legal. You may find some assessment centres have a more relaxed view of the guidelines than others.

@keeperstweed - I'm not sure the Jelen view is quite as stark as you appear to represent. The ammo used still needs to meet the ME and MV requirements of the law as well as the weight.

I assume you mean with 243 - and if so, note Tim's experience above - which is not uncommon. 243 was originally designed for an 85gr bullet, so it's being pushed the heavier you go. His advice on practice is also something totake heed of - especially in the lesser used positions of sitting/kneeling and standing.

thanks for that info, will get a box of 90 grain and 95 grain ammo later this week and try them out better be safe than sorry dont want to turn up with homeloads then cant use them, hopefully get a reply from calton moor this week about it as its there i am doing my course.

Did mine with the BDS at Criggion Estate, Mid Wales. Home loads were permitted, one pour chap that used his home loads had a hang fire, while doing the shooting test. This was immediately acted upon by the range master who made everybody unload and move away while it was dealt with.
This in itself was a learning curve for some as they did not know how to safely deal with the hang fire.

did mine with jon snowdon at greenlee and was no mention about home loads,but whos going to know either way???.
or check bullet weights energies & velocities

did mine with jon snowdon at greenlee and was no mention about home loads,but whos going to know either way???.
or check bullet weights energies & velocities

Did mine at Greenlee, Jon is a top guy.

Did mine with the BDS at Criggion Estate, Mid Wales. Home loads were permitted, one pour chap that used his home loads had a hang fire, while doing the shooting test. This was immediately acted upon by the range master who made everybody unload and move away while it was dealt with.
This in itself was a learning curve for some as they did not know how to safely deal with the hang fire.
It would be beneficial to all, if you would describe the actions taken by the person in charge of the detail, to deal with the said hangfire!.

he looked after us and was knowledgeable,but make sure you have a good breakfast before you go,food nice but not much of it.i thought doing dsc would open doors,but if youve got stalking already i wouldnt bother doing it,

Back