What a numpty i am...

groach1234

Well what a fool i am. I had just finished sharpening my knife when i slipped whilst putting it in its sheath when i slipped and managed to slice my finger to the bone as far as i could tell :doh: managed to just about stop the bleeding after 45 mins, steri stripped it and the bandaged and splintered it. Managed to scupper my chances of getting out stalking this week :rolleyes: spoken to my granddad who is retired doctor and he agrees we've done right with it and to leave it for a few days and check on it so long as it doesn't start to weep or smell :lol: a great start to the new year.

George

George

Scars are the entry fee to speaking with authority about knives and sharpening. At risk of flippancy; it sounds like you have the sharpening side sorted!

Took a mate stalking a year or so back found him a Munty and said i would guide him through the gralloch. He was a bit eager to get started and as i gestured towards the place of the first cut he tried to amputate me finger.
Some bl**dy mate :D.

Hope your cut heals fast George.

George,

Hope your finger gets better soon. If we're sharing daft knife stories - here's mine.

Two years ago I was working on a knife stall at the CLA. Friday morning at 8.30 I'm polishing blades and putting them in the display case. I rubbed one a bit too enthusiastically and sliced into my thumb. I then waved my hand about like you do when you hit your thumb with a hammer. Doing so sprayed blood all over the sides of the tent and my sister in law. She wasn't happy.

I spent the rest of the weekend showing blades to people with a blue plaster on my hand. I felt a proper t*t !!!

Take care,

Bob

Well I have nice scar now on the back of my left hand. Skinning that 6 Pt I shot with John knife slipped and I stabbed the tip of the blade right into the back on my left hand. Tip stuck into the bone but missed tendons luckily. Hospital trip. Had 6 or 7 Doctors come pay me a visit in the treatment room as they don't often get stab wounds like that to look at.

Well I have nice scar now on the back of my left hand. Skinning that 6 Pt I shot with John knife slipped and I stabbed the tip of the blade right into the back on my left hand. Tip stuck into the bone but missed tendons luckily. Hospital trip. Had 6 or 7 Doctors come pay me a visit in the treatment room as they don't often get stab wounds like that to look at.

Im starting to think a trip to A&E probably wouldn't have been such a bad idea but i couldn't drive myself and the family weren't too keen as it was almost tea time....will have a look at it tomorrow and decide then.

George

peroxyde and super glue does the trick put a splint on if it keeps opening up and bind it to the next finger . But im no doctor

Im starting to think a trip to A&E probably wouldn't have been such a bad idea but i couldn't drive myself and the family weren't too keen as it was almost tea time....will have a look at it tomorrow and decide then.

George

:thumb: Auto trans on a vehicle comes in handy sometimes. Now have a manual so it might not be so easy but I drove myself the 13 miles to hospital with hand wrapped and tubigrip doubled over the pad to keep it in place and compressed. Only two left turns then a right into the hospital from here so not so bad.

Mrs Finnbear is a past master at cutting various areas of fingers & hands, she rips into me everytime she does one, "It's your fault,! I'm certain you sharpen these knives on purpose!!!!", I wonder quite why I bother to tell her to use the chopping board to receive the stroke of the knife when making chips, or to cut away from her midriff when peeling veg! Hope you heal soon George, keep on top of it.

Recently cut my thumb with bone saw of all things ,hurrying to take legs off before game dealer goes home as he owes me a nice wedge .Spent the evening in A and E at our local and im now left with no sensation in the tip .Real ******* on cold days too .Moral of the story is is less haste and all that .Hope your finger heals well mate but id get to a quack if i were you .

Last edited by a moderator:
George
If you haven't had one... Get a tetnus jab ASAP
Blood poision is no fun, honest.
Happy New Year
Alan

Groach your not alone, managed to slice my hand the day before new years eve. ( cleaning a skull )
Slowed me down a bit, wanted to get out this week :oops:

Well if you want a laugh. About seven years ago I was skinning off a Roe carcass and slipped with a blunt knife, that I was pushing too hard, as I was in a hurry and couldn't spare time to sharpen. I know "idiot". Well it was one mighty slip and had some force behind it. I stuck my Buck knife deep into my leg about three inches above the knee. It went in well past the gut hook. How did I know this? Because it caught in the cut on the way out. Never felt pain quite like it.
Every time my daughter sees the scar she asks how I got it. I just tell her I was goared by a Rhino when my gun jammed. She doesn't believe me. Makes me laugh now, but boy did it hurt.

Paul

I had one a few years back,
was about to start cutting and asked mate to hand me the knife, I put my hand out to the rear,
without looking at my mate, who handed the knife to me without looking either! result ?
cut from the nail to wrist down to the bone, tendons on the back of my finger showing and frayed but not cut through thank god.
At hospital taken straight into surgery 3hrs and 27 stitches later let out
.Brilliant job done by the surgeon hardly a scar but aches like hell in the cold weather.
And the moral of the story is ?

Back