Could I have some of your views please?

Daz2381

Hi All,

I have a decision to make about our German Shepherd, it is either to try ad re-home or put him to sleep.

Reasons why, He has bitten my youngest twice properly (head area) over the last 18 months and last night he attacked my eldest dog a Springerdor (gun dog) whilst eating her dinner. The wife doesn't like walking him as he is unriluy with her and tries to get at people (mainly men) or other dogs.

I wanted to put him down the first time he bit my son but the wife didn't want to as she feels she has failed the dog if we did that.

What would you think about doing in this situations

Many Thanks

Daz

sorry chap but wouldnt have bit my kids twice however you could try rehomeing him but as soon as they find out why you gunna be outa luck unless you try a local farmer may want it for a guard dog dunno if im helping

I think you would have to be very careful about rehoming unfortunately. However if you could find a "working" home for it there may be some scope. Guard dog etc.

Dog that bites a child - get him put down now. You just cannot put a dog in front of the safety of your child (or any child). Your wife feels that she may have failed the dog - sorry mate she and you have failed your child.

tough one buddy
I have a boarder collie been my best buddy for ten years comes every where with me. I now have a daughter 1yr old and sorry would not trust my dog as far as I could chuck him. Have had to be very careful the old boy is very jelous and now she is walking the dog wants to be as far away as poss, from her.

This is good but I feel sorry for the dog its not his fault but my daughter comes first. I never want to be in your shoes I feel for you. Fine him a good home

Andrew

Sorry Daz, but imho its a no-brainer "twice properly head area" as you said yourself. He's got to go, and I dont mean to another home. It cant be a nice choice to have to make though, mate.
ATB Lee

hard one for you , but i say you would have to put him down for the safety of your & other children

Sad as it is, I would say it would have to be put down. You can't take the risk. Suppose it really hurts someone/thing (or worse) even if re-homed. How would feel then?
Better safe than sorry.
Regards
Fairacre

sorry to say it pal but after the first incident my mind would have been made up, trip to the vets i think may be the only answer... and on this occasion i actually agreed with gazza!! if you did re-home it and it happened to someone else maybe worse how would you feel then? it may be hard but its the right thing to do..
regards, Jez.

i,ve 2 ridgebacks 8 and 4 yrs and a 3 yr old son, youngest dog is very protective of him, older one does not go near him, but i never take my eyes of them when they are around each other. but if either one were too bite him they would be meeting there maker rapid.stav

How old is he? , will the police have him ? I,m sure they take suitable dogs ,but a biter not sure !!

Hey Daz,

Long time, and sorry to hear of the sad decision you have to make.

You may find the local Police may be able to make use of such an animal - certainly worth a phone call. I know the Essex guys for example have taken on some stronger headed dogs. They should come and assess and may help you make a decision. A secruity firm may be the other option, but you can't risk him doing some more serious damage to the family - twice or thrice warned is more luck than I would care to chance.

If these are no joy, I'm afraid I'm with the others on this - he certainly won't have the quality of life he deserves if you just keep him caged all the time - potentially you just make the situation worse.

biting

In my opinion for what its worth,guard dog or a bullet im afraid,he would have only done that once to one of my kids end of:!:

The old bill won't take a biter.

Be honest with yourself mate- you already know the answer. Take him for a nice long walk and a play then show him your gun. It's really sad but needs to be done.

You cannot take another chance with this animal, sooner or later he's going to do it again that you can be sure of, I think its a case of the dog failing you
not the other way round . I have been in the same situation with a Lab dog. (And i'd never do it again)
not a nice choice but think of the kids and not the dogs feelings
best of luck
Drag1

Ask yourself, could you ever truely trust this dog with your or anyone else's child again?
Never easy but I think you already know the answer to your question.
Regards Pete.

If you are wary of keeping him, it’s not fair to rehome him and pass the buck. While it might work out ok, if it goes wrong will you ever again be able to look yourself in the mirror in the morning?

Unfortunately fella, as cjm said, how would you feel if the same thing happenned again, with someone else, or to someone else child?

In this case, having done it 3 times, I feel its a confirmed issue, and the right thing to do is PTS.

You will also be doing the dog a huge favour, as he is either going to be in a similar position in the future with an owner who may not be so understanding, or he would have to go through such a 'dominance reduction' programme that it just isn't fair.

Good Luck.

Back